*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/694515-Updates-on-New-Novel-Series---------------544-word-count
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#694515 added April 28, 2010 at 8:53am
Restrictions: None
Updates on New Novel Series _544 word count
After the end of April Mad Dash #2 on Saturday, I took off the remaining six days of April to read for research and to read for pleasure. I've also spent many hours in quiet contemplation of the newest novel, which I plan as the first in a series on the American Civil War. I had thought to make this first one cover the years 1859-1863, but now I am just about decided that is too long a time period, since I want to cover several characters and a multitude of situations and themes. I think I shall back it up to an earlier period by several years (probably 1855 or so) and then end it near the end of 1859. Then the second book can begin with the early months of 1860.


Although-at this point-I expect all the books to be set in the Southland, by no means shall I be glorifying the Confederacy. I plan to write about character-themes-and character evolution-and yes, to explore the dark side of the Confederacy: slavery. So I'm reversing myself in time in order to examine pre-War abolition, which will of necessity include the North-well, then I guess it won't be all Southland after all LOL, more fool me {e:laugh).





In the meantime, I am also trying to decide what to do about Book Three of The Testament Logging Corporation Chronicles. Book One was written Dec. 9-March 11, and Book Two was written March 1-22. So those are complete except for editing. Book Three I began March 23-31, but stopped to write a Stage Play for Script Frenzy, which I wrote April 1-15. Then I began to outline the new (Civil War Series Book One) novel. That series has so enflamed my imagination that Book Three has gone on hold. I reached 23K and 20 chapters on it in 9 days; now I am undecided whether to wrap it up as a novella, or to hold off, rework it according to Chapter Eight in Karen Wiesner's book First Draft in 30 Days, which covers outlining a project already in hand, or to simply finish wriiting it by my former usual "seat of the pants" method. There are some themes in it that need further exploring, so I don't know yet what I'm going to do. It nags me not to finish it, as I already have one unfinished novel, Book Three in the Mediumistic Mary Series, which I began in December but had to set aside for the advent of the first book in the Testament Series (which then bcame two novels and 20 chapters in a third {e:smile} ).


In the last few days, in addition to online research, I've read:





Walking to Cold Mountain by Carl Zebrowski, a photographic essay on the Civil War referencing some of the themes and events in Charles Frasier's Cold Mountain (a book I own and also plan to read as research)


http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Cold-Mountain-Journey-Through/dp/0765110571/ref=sr...





and Connie Willis' superb novel Lincoln's Dreams, which makes the reader come away feeling she has lived through the War!


http://www.amazon.com/Lincolns-Dreams-Connie-Willis/dp/0553270257/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...


Another great aspect of Lincoln's Dreams is the author's references to classic history book of the Civil War, so I kept jumping up and scurrying to my PC to reserve yet more from the Library system!



© Copyright 2010 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/694515-Updates-on-New-Novel-Series---------------544-word-count