*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/695924-May-12Free-Read1126-words
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#695924 added May 12, 2010 at 9:08am
Restrictions: None
May 12_Free Read_1126 words
Act One Scene Two from my Obax and the Night-Riders





ACT ONE, SCENE TWO


                                                          


                                                                     (November 27, 1864.


                                                                     Nighttime. Lantern light.


                                                                     A Civil War Encampment. On                                                                      a slight sloping rise, men                                                                      in gray are camped. A few


                                                                     tents. Most of the                                                                                          soldiers lie wrapped in                                                                                bedrolls, others walk                                                                                about or crouch by                                                                                          fireside.)





                                                                     (Interior of largest tent.


                                                                     A folding table, a cot,                                                                                three lanterns, two                                                                                folding chairs. Maps cover                                                                      table. Two lanterns on                                                                                table, one on ground near                                                                      cot. Outside, sounds of                                                                                men settling down, feet                                                                                shuffling, pots and pans                                                                      clanking, cookfire flames                                                                      hissing. Horses neigh                                                                                softly, harness clanks                                                                                occasionally. Someone                                                                                sighs loudly.)





         (Two men stand on opposite sides of the          map table, both in gray officer's          uniform. One is a CONFEDERATE MAJOR, one          is a CONFEDERATE CAPTAIN.)





                                       (THE CAPTAIN stands on far side                                        of table, closer to rear tent                                        wall. Tall, slender, blond-                                                  haired,but with dark eyes.                                                  Deep-voiced. in late twenties'.                                        Freshly-          shaven.                                                                      Uniform is wrinkled but clean.


                                       Wearing forage cap. Has Robert                                        Redford's height and appeal to                                        women, but Ryan O'Neal's                                                  features and demeanor.


                                       Clearly he has just returned                                                  from a mission away, bearing                                                  dispatches, which he                                                            now hands to THE MAJOR.)





                                 THE MAJOR is shorter,                                                             stockier, with dark beard                                                  and sideburns, thinning black                                        hair that is long, onto the                                                  collar of his dingy, grimy,                                                  unwashed uniform. His broad-                                                  brimmed gray felt hat is tilted                                        back off his forehead, showing                                        greasy strands of thinning                                                  black hair.


                                       Resembles in features and                                                  height a Southern version of                                                  British actor Oliver Reed.


                                       THE MAJOR appears to be a                                                  military man who has seen                                                  action, whereas across from                                                  him, THE CAPTAIN seems a dandy,                                        a dilettante playing at an                                                  officer's role.


                                       THE MAJOR frowns down at maps                                        on the table, while THE CAPTAIN                                        smartly slaps stack of                                                            dispatches into his right hand.          


                                       THE MAJOR points at one spot on                                        map          with left index finger and                                        bends closer to view it, hiding                                        his expression.)





THE MAJOR: The men aren't ready for this, Judson. It's too soon after losing Atlanta-too soon. They're tired, they're weak, and what's worse, they're dispirited.


                                       (Downcast look settles over his                                        features. He now looks much                                                  older than his fifty years. His                                        discouragement is plain in both                                        his expression and his          mien,                                        and in his speech.)


THE MAJOR: We are all dispirited, Judson.


                                       (His voice trails off with the                    last two          words to silence pregnant with          unspoken meaning.)


THE MAJOR: Judson-you left here early morning of the 23rd. Tonight's November 27. Son, I only sent you to Savannah to Major General Bradd's aide.


                                       (Suddenly raises head and                                                  stares up at THE CAPTAIN,                                                  piercingly, eyes snapping.                                                  He is willing to extend the                                                  benefit of the doubt, but is                                                  not very trustful that it will                                        be possible.)





THE CAPTAIN: Well. I took a little side trip and got some inside information. Went to Black-Moor Plantation, seen a fortune-teller.


                                       (Straightens, raps gloves                                                  in one hand against the                                                            palm of the other hand.                                                            Watches THE MAJOR                                                                      closely.)


          Yanks be here before dawn, I bet you. Early.                  You're right, we won't be ready.





THE MAJOR: No-they don't know this territory like we do. I think it will be daylight, maybe even not till noon. After all, we don't know how close they are, do we? Ain't sent out riders to find out. Afraid the men are better off not knowing how soon they're going to die.


                                                 (Drops dispatches, clamps                                                  both hands over eyes. One                                                  sob is heard, a second                                                            stifled.)





THE CAPTAIN:


                                                 (Views THE MAJOR now with                                                  grave alarm. Looks down at                                                  the map, over to the                                                            dropped dispatches, back                                                  to THE MAJOR'S face, still                                                  covered by his hands.)


            Sir! I spoke to that Conjure-woman I told you about-Obax. That's where I went, why it took me longer. That old girl used to be a slave at Tallamassee. Remember? She sees things-sees the future. Everybody at Millsboro swears by her! My old GrandMammy knew Obax when she worked at Owans Plantation down by Ellabell, where my GranMammy was born. That was, oh roun' '95 or so, long time back. That Obax, she's an OLD woman. Was old when GranMammy was a child. But she KNOWS! She sure does Know-she told my Sister Ellajean when she'd marry and who, and sure 'nough that came true!


                                       (THE CAPTAIN is so                                                                      enraptured by now with his                                                  tales about OBAX that he has                                                  forgotten the news he intended                                        to impart: of OBAX'S                                                            predictions on the upcoming                                                  battle, the Battle of Buck Head                                        Creek.)





                                       (THE MAJOR drops his hands from                                        his face, and stares again at                                        the spot on the map he had been                                        viewing earlier. Once again,                                                  his left index finger traces a                                        railroad line, then a creek.                                                  The creek runs west to east                                                  just below the slight rise on                                        which the CONFEDERATE                                                            detachment is encamped.


                                       Their orders are to protect the                                        railroad, a major supply line                                        to Augusta, but THE MAJOR                                                  instead fears an all-out rout                                        by superior numbers of UNION                                                  forces.)





                                       (THE MAJOR has become very                                                  peaked and looks quite ill. He                                        is almost swaying on his feet.                                        He appears like a man who                                                  himself has just had a terrible                                        vision.)





                   (Sounds of “Battle Hymn of the Republic”          heard quietly in the background, sung in          an aged, cracked, Negro voice:





         I have seen Him in the watch fires of a          hundred circling camps


         They have builded Him an altar in the          evening dews and damps;


         I can read His righteous sentence by the          dim and flaring lamps;


         His day is marching on.


         


                                       I have read a fiery Gospel writ in                                                  burnished rows of steel;


                                       “As ye deal with My contemners, so with                                        you My grace shall deal”;


                                       His Truth is marching on!


                             Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory!                                        Hallelujah!


                             Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His TRUTH is                                                  marching on.)





THE MAJOR:





                                                           (THE MAJOR speaks while still                                                            tracing the railroad line and                                                            the creek across the map,                                                                      moving his index finger up                                                                      toward the ridge on which they                                                            are currently encamped.)


                                                           (Whispers.)


                   And what did this conjure-woman tell you, Judson?


         This-OBAX. What did she say about tomorrow's battle?





THE CAPTAIN:


                                                           (For the first time, looks                                                                      disconcerted and ill at ease.                                                            Stutters briefly. Leans against                                                            rickety table, then quickly                                                                      straightens.)


Er-er-that is-er-well, she said she saw a fierce battle, Sir.





THE MAJOR:                    (Raises his eyes to THE                                                                                CAPTAIN. Although his eyes are                                                            blue, suddenly they look like                                                            empty windows into nighttime.)


What did she say, Captain? I need to know it- all. Tell me.





THE CAPTAIN:


                                                           (Gazes down at table again.                                                                      Lowers voice to a near-                                                                                whisper.)


She said it would be deadly. Many would die on this ridge;  said the blood would run like rivers down the slope and into Briar Creek. Few would live and those that could would run.


                                       


                                                                     END OF ACT ONE, SCENE TWO


                                                                     (Lights out.)



© Copyright 2010 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/695924-May-12Free-Read1126-words