*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698203-Steampunk--June4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #1678235
Daily off-the-cuff writing, prompted by photos provided by Leger in 15 For 15 Contest
#698203 added June 5, 2010 at 8:39am
Restrictions: None
Steampunk ~ June4
Edison Thomas placed the metal tips of his boots just over the edge of the coal storage silo. The height soured his stomach but he lifted a defiant chin, refusing the weakness threatening to engulf him. He was meant to succeed, and late afternoon sun breaking through the clouds cloaked him in golden spotlight of reassurance. How apropos, he thought with a grin. Spreading his arms theatrically, he imagined his future admirers and the accolades they’d bestow upon him for centuries to come.

Carefully, he glanced over his shoulder. “Fienze, are you getting this?”

A hiccup carried to his ears on the wind.

“Fienze!”

“Ya, brother, worry you not, it’s rolling.” But a second passed from Fienze’s last word to the chug of steam and the whirl of gears, and Thomas sneered audibly.

Forcing his focus back to the event at hand, he lifted his arms a little higher and spoke out to the city below, though his voice was only in reality loud enough for the video archiving.

“Today, the fourth of July in the year of our Lord 1882, I present to the Inter-Galactic Coalition an invention that will change the face of humanity forever. No longer will fear grip our brethren. Never again will high places be off limits for us who cannot tolerate heights. Solo long-distance travel will again be accessible to all.”

Behind him, Fienze gave a derisive snort. Thomas ignored him, and reached for a silver switch on a belt around his waist. At his touch, from a pack concealed in his garment, a pair of brass wings snapped open on his back. The metal glistened in the sunlight, glinting along the hinges at the seams like flecks of gold. With the flick of a second switch, a small motor sputtered and gears churned to life.

“I present to you, ladies and gentlemen of the Coalition, The Eagle, the Universe’s first Individual Flying Transporter. And now, I will demonstrate her power on her maiden voyage!”

“Be careful, brother,” mumbled Fienze sarcastically.

Thomas sucked in a lungful of air, willing his heart be still, and leapt. Light played off the metal wings as he hung suspended in the air, then his face froze and he began to fall. As he plummeted, the wings folded upon themselves and his piercing scream echoed off the silo wall.

Thomas pedaled frantically with his arms and legs, until he splashed into the decorative pond at the base of the silo.

The moment Thomas began to fall, Fienze snatched the video archiver off its tripod and filmed the decent. He chuckled. Aloud he said, “Well, if the Coalition isn’t interested in this idiot’s debunk invention, I could always submit this footage to Inter-Galactic’s Funniest Home Videos!”
© Copyright 2010 NickiD89 (UN: heftynicki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NickiD89 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698203-Steampunk--June4