*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698351-No-Such-Thing-as-Coincidence
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#698351 added June 6, 2010 at 7:10pm
Restrictions: None
No Such Thing as Coincidence?
Hubby and I attended yet another sixtieth burpday party last night. With all the hospital fiasco and added trauma we weren't particularly looking forward to it, especially as we suspected we wouldn't know anyone there apart from the burpday boy and his wife. They are friends of mine from the sixties who eventually settled in Cornwall and although we've kept in touch, we haven't seen them in over twenty years. Despite feeling weary after an afternoon barbecue at son and family's place, I wasn't going to give up on seeing old friends after all this time.

It was a very warm evening and a pleasant change to sit outside in lovely surroundings in the grounds of the hall where the party was held. I recognised my old friends instantly; strange how the years may age us but never change us in any dramatic way. It was lovely to see them and be part of their celebrations.

Later in the evening our hostess told me there was someone she thought I'd like to meet at the party and introduced us to a couple who looked vaguely familiar. I have mentioned Nigel several times in my blog and the series I wrote with Nada. He was the the first real love of my life who I spent ten years with on and off and have never forgotten. Sadly he passed away several years ago at the age of 55.

The couple I was introduced to were his younger sister, Jane and her husband, who also happened to be a big friend of Nigel's. I don't remember a great deal about Jane from that era as she was six years younger than Nigel and I didn't spend a great deal of time with his family. I think he much preferred being at my teenage home where my Mum treated him as one of her own and there were no false airs and graces.

I thought I may spend a few moments with Jane, discussing pleasantries and trivialities, then excuse myself and escape. I didn't want to dampen her evening by reminding her of the past and the fact she has lost her only sibling. Being aware she's probably in regular touch with Nigel's three ex-wives and his children from his first marriage, I had a feeling I might just be an unwelcome reminder from the past and touch a few raw nerves.

How wrong can we be? Within minutes it seemed Jane and I had an awful lot in common, are tuned into the same wavelength and she welcomed the opportunity to discuss her deceased brother with someone who knew him almost as well as her. It was apparent a bond was forming and we got on like a house on fire.

We talked and talked, laughed and joked as if we'd been the best of friends for years. Hubby was getting on swimmingly with her hubby who is also a sport's fanatic. *Yawn* Later in the evening we danced to the sixties music we know so well and just as I was pondering what Nigel would make of his old flame dancing with his sister, she leaned over and expressed the very same thought.

Storms and heavy rain put paid to any more outdoor activity, but the stifling heat led Jane and I to stand in an open doorway where we concluded Nigel was the culprit for the freaky weather, expressing his annoyance that we could drink and party together without his presence.

The torrential rain continued so hubby kindly offered to give them a lift home. We exchanged phone numbers and e-mail addresses then Steve, Jane's hubby asked if we enjoyed walking. Something I love, but hubby doesn't. Turns out they have a monthly ramble with old friends and many pub visits and I am hoping time, energy, family and shoes will allow me to join them now and again as I've often contemplated joining a walking club. How perfect to find one amongst old friends with much history and common ground.

Coincidence or not, I have a feeling Jane and I will develop a warm and understanding friendship. After all, she could have been my sister-in-law had fate not intervened. Life has a funny way of turning full circle and I have to question yet again how one simple event can open new doors, spark new relationships and fill a need we thought might never be fulfilled. Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, it's back to hospitals and the daily humdrum...sigh.

© Copyright 2010 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698351-No-Such-Thing-as-Coincidence