*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698534-June-8-RIP-Marvin-Isley--330-wc
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#698534 added June 8, 2010 at 10:59am
Restrictions: None
June 8 R.I.P. Marvin Isley 330 wc
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/sns-ap-obit-marvin-isley,0,4921393.story





Marvin Isley passed away Sunday, June 6. Marvin, the youngest of the Isley Brothers, was only 56. He had been in very poor health since 1996, when due to complications of diabetes, he had lost both legs and the use of his left hand. As horrible a situation as this would be for any human, I have to consider whether it is worse for the creative. Marvin Isley played bass guitar, for which the use of one's hands are essentials. As a writer and reader, I worry frequently about my vision difficulties. Think of creative artists who use their hands (Joni Earecksson Tada comes to mind, who after paralysis learned to pain with her toes): painters, illustrators, cartoonists, sculptors, designers of jewelry, handbags, crafts, quilters.





         Please don't anybody think I am downplaying how awful such health conditions would be for any individual. I am just pointing out here how certain types of Creativity would be more affected by certain types of health difficulties, and all this has been inspired by the untimely passing of Marvin Isley. Indeed, the Night Shift is filling up fast, it seems, as more and more of our musical talent leaves us for a better place and time.






Today would be the 143rd birthday of prominent architect Frank Lloyd Wright, a man whose Prairie Style I totally admire. Today is also the 42nd anniversary of both the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and the funeral of Senator Robert F. Kennedy, who himself had been assassinated. I remember hearing the radio news of Dr. King's death in my bedroom that day-I was young, yes; and I bawled my eyes out. It didn't help that I was the only member of the household who cared at all: Dr. King was, after all, like the murdered students at Kent State University four years later, considered to be “uppity.” So I guess the thinking was that all uppity people deserved to die. Funny, here I still am!





http://www.biography.com/articles/Frank-Lloyd-Wright-9537511

© Copyright 2010 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698534-June-8-RIP-Marvin-Isley--330-wc