*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698624-Fallen-Soldier
by Robby
Rated: 13+ · Book · Emotional · #1680477
A Collection of Songs I wrote.
#698624 added June 8, 2010 at 11:42pm
Restrictions: None
Fallen Soldier.
Fallen Soldier.

Story behind the song first:

1992, I was coming back from Germany. I had a layover in New York and while I was there, in full uniform I met a man who was waiting for his son to come in. As the story began to unfold he told me that he received a letter from the military, U.S. Marine Corp. stating that his son died in the line of duty saving his squad. He told me how overwhelmed he was and how he had just talked to his son the day before. He said he went for a few days hating everyone including the government and this country for taking his son away from him. He told me that he had shut everyone out of his life and his mind was cluttered with grief and I saw his tears weld up and release. I almost walked off but he stopped me, he couldnt let me leave, he had to finish his story and it was important to him that I hear it. He said he was walking, didnt know where and didnt care, just walking. While doing so he tripped but caught his balance, but swears that all though there was know one around him he thought someone had caught him as he was falling and help him stand back up. As he regained his composure he realized he was standing in front of a HUGE flag, Old Glory herself was looking down upon him and just as he was turning away a wind gust came out of no where and brought that flag to life and standing in front of it way up in the sky was his son in full dress and standing proud.

He said he started scream Im Sorry! Im Sorry! over and over again, after the vision faded a thought overwhelmed him and he ran back to his house like his life depended on it. He got in his car and drove to the Airport crying and apologizing the whole way, because he wanted to be there when his son got off that plane to show him that he was proud of him. Then he looked at me and said the reason he had to share that story with me was he wanted to apologize to me for blaming my country, what I stand for and what his son died for. And we both stood with tears in our eyes in the middle of the airport and I forgave him and he thanked me.

I got on the plane before his son came in and I never got his number or his name. But he changed my life and the way I view the flag today. When I look up there at Old Glory I see more then just a flag and feel more pride then I could ever put into words. I hope and pray that I am worthy enough, (when my time comes) that I can take my turn up there.

I wrote a little poem after 911, that goes back to this story, I probably need to work on it a little more.

Fallen Soldier

It was a bright sunny day when darkness hit my world
When I got the news another soldier died,
The difference was that this soldier,
was my heart, my soul, and my pride.

My heart starts filling with anger,
The world starts spinning around,
Everything begins to fade away
as I fall to the ground

Then someone catches me, to my feet,
Before I realized
Standing tall and strait and proud
A soldier, who I recognized.

Standing proud he cracked a smile
Saluting straight ahead
Then my son looked down at me
and this is what he said:

I'm proud of my country
and I'm proud of what I've done
I'm proud that you're my Father
and I'm proud to be your son.

I may have given my life Dad,
But I haven't lost the fight
I'll always be here standing guard,
every day and every night,

I'm in front of that flag you see,
Old Glory waving way up high
So put your hand upon your heart,
and wave as you walk by.

Chorus:
Fallen soldier way up high
Guards their banner, stands with pride

Gave their life for this country
Now stands tall for all to see

Place your hand upon your heart
This is where this country starts

Salute that flag as you walk by
Praise that soldier in the sky
© Copyright 2010 Robby (UN: talk2robby at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robby has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698624-Fallen-Soldier