*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/699164-Cave--June-14
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #1678235
Daily off-the-cuff writing, prompted by photos provided by Leger in 15 For 15 Contest
#699164 added June 14, 2010 at 7:15am
Restrictions: None
Cave ~ June 14
An overwhelming sense of déjà-vu tickled my imagination the moment our flat-bottom boat floated into the tunnel. Maybe the damp yet metallic smell triggered it; I can’t say for sure. My eyes roved the walls, taking in the craggy formations. I stared over the edge, into the unsettling calm of the river’s surface. I could see my round face, my long straight hair reflected in its blue depths.

I couldn’t concentrate on anything the tour guide was saying. His commentary sounded enthusiastic, but the echo of his voice ricocheted off the rock walls and pock-marked ceiling, further disorienting me. But as we navigated a deep curve and the boat entered a cave of cathedral proportions, I was struck dumb with the visions.

My heart raced; sweat broke out across my body as I saw myself, but it was not myself. I was thin and dark-skinned. My hands were bound behind me. I struggled but the men around me in the wooden skiff held me fast.

Voices. Words in a language I can’t decipher shouting at me. I shake my head, sending black ringlets across my eyes. I look up as we pass next to an immense stalactite. Through my teary eyes it looks like a waterfall, frozen in time. An uproar of those cryptic voices. A decision has been made. Hands fall on my throat, trying to snatch the heavy necklace of hammered brass around my neck. Don’t touch my necklace! My scream can’t force its way past the rag in my mouth. A shirtless man stops him. More arguing. Another decision. Then, I’m lifted by my shoulders and tossed. Icy water everywhere. I try to hold my breath. Struggle to free my hands. Can’t. Must. Breath.

“Jennifer? Jenn? Are you all right?”

I blinked a few times and realized I was staring into Greg’s eyes. We were still in the cave, the tour guide was still talking. I drew deep breaths, trying to catch my breath. Greg took my hand.

“God, Jenn, you’re shaking. Do you feel sick?”

“No, no. I’m…” I looked around, feeling frantic, my eyes falling on a rock formation resembling cascading water. My heart raced anew. I looked into Greg’s eyes. “I...just a panic attack, I guess.”

“Well, try to relax, sweetie. Enjoy the tour. The guide was just talking about the skeleton archeologists uncovered at the bottom of the lake in this room, back in the 1800s. The person was definitely murdered. Her hands were tied behind her. She was wearing this crazy tribal-looking necklace…”
© Copyright 2010 NickiD89 (UN: heftynicki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NickiD89 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/699164-Cave--June-14