*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/699282-Who-you-are
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#699282 added June 15, 2010 at 7:12am
Restrictions: None
Who you are
There is a discussion going on as to what the significance is when someone signs their signature with upper or lower case letters. Some claim its a reflection of someone's dominant or passive nature. There are alot of Freuds out there. Many think they can catch a glimpse of a writer's true character by a careful study of their work...that there are clues of their repressed desires and true orientation. Maybe, however I don't really sign up for all this...I suppose there could be a grain of truth but for me it all goes back to where a writers inspiration comes from. If you think it originates in the depths of our brains you can perhaps make a case. I think, as I have stated several times on this blog that it is something outside ourselves served up by our muse. That is my opinion, evidenced by some of my poetry over the years, where I suddenly concluded..."I didn't write this....I have never thought this up, I know it came off my pen but wherever it came from it wasn't from inside of me." As a consequence of this belief I don't attribute much of a writer's character to their works. I attribute their works to muses...whoever happens to be hanging around in imagination when the writer is casting about for a story. Sometimes I'll think, "Muse," I need a story about this or that, limber up my fingers and before long it comes pouring off the finger tips. Recently I have been doing some writing from an orientation I don't share.

We do an injustice I think by reading someones ques and trying to imply too much about them. I remember in Vietnam. a new platoon leader came into the Battalion that did not fit the profile of a combat leader. His voice had an effeminate quality and was pitched several octaves too high. His mannerisms did little to redeem it. I remember several of my friends joking and yes I joined in. "No way that fellow is going to last," I told myself. Several weeks later I was listening on the Company's Radio Net when his platoon came under fire. I knew at once who the leader was...that squeaky voice hadn't changed but what struck me was the order and quality of the commands as he brought in artillery fire, Tac air and later the Dust Off. It made a big impression on my world view...because there was no doubt the lieutenant did a remarkable job and possibly saved his unit from being overrun. I remember thinking...."Those soldiers need to kiss his butt, or whatever part he prefers, when this is over."

The world is full of dualities, as I call them. Last week I talked about leadership as being a synthesis of Knowing Best and Getting others to do it. The reason many find it difficult to define is because we tend to focus on the latter part to the exclusion of the former. These two forces are acting concurrently and our followers continuously assess both at the same time. Making a good decision is just as important as strength and charisma, that confidence and twinkle of self assurance.

Another duality is competence and the perception of that ability. A person is not assessed by others solely on their ability but also on their image, how it appears they are getting the job done. How often do we see someone aspire to something and fail to measure up once they get there.

People are complex and attributing too much to a particular attribute or influence can be deceiving. It often leads to some poor conclusions. Everyone brings something to the table and one of the great challenges and pleasures in life is figuring out what it is.

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/699282-Who-you-are