*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/699504-Probabilities-and-Irony
Rated: 18+ · Book · Adult · #737885
The Journal of Someone who Squandered away Years but wishes to redeem them in the present
#699504 added June 17, 2010 at 6:28pm
Restrictions: None
Probabilities and Irony
subtitle: frustration writing in 20 minutes or less

Power went out at work at 2:15. I skeedaddled (sic).

Got home, went for a ride while debating whether or not to go to school tonight. Ride was difficult. Smoking pot has to be having some effect on my riding, but given my weight, level of fitness decay, and the heat, it's hard to correlate my R^2...

Having some cherry limeade at the counter and sweating profusely, decided to go to school rather than the alternative. Decided I need to cut back on pot and see how my riding improves.

Phone rings. 720 number (no one I know).
Answer. Is Dane there? May I ask who's calling. Blah blah blah Med Assets. You applied for a data analyst job here... blah blah.

Yeah, okay. We'd like to schedule a phone interview next week. Blah blah blah.

Fine, we arrange it.
I don't even remember applying to Med Assets because I send out so many applications in a month that there's no human way for me to keep track.

Oh, and by the way, did anyone happen to notice that just this morning I was comfortably committing myself to NOT concerning myself with the job search again. Yes, technically I think I said "applying" for jobs, but a phone interview is part of the application process.

I made the caller repeat her company name, so I could write it down (so I could go back and figure out what the fuck I applied for and research the company). I'm going to take a wild stab that she'll think I'm unqualified based on the fact that I didn't remember applying for the job.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!
It's a phone interview. They'll find more qualified applicants.
All I know from my activity increase is that while I've learned how to dance the Resume Dance, I can't convince anyone that I can actually DO data analysis work, because I've never done data analysis work outside of a grad school setting.

This I swear: I'm not going to give a shit.
I mean, I'm going to prepare like a professional. I will even try to talk to my SIL about preparing for questions better.
But I'm not going to quit smoking pot for a fuckin phone interview, and I'm not going to presume that I have any reason to be hopeful. I'm another dollar ticket to the lottery for these people, and your odds of winning are basically the same whether you buy a ticket or not.

I'm actually agitated at having to prepare for this shit.

It is never too late to be what you might have been. -- George Eliot
Courage to start and willingness to keep everlasting at it are the requisites for success. -- Alonzo Newton Benn

© Copyright 2010 Heliodorus04 (UN: prodigalson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Heliodorus04 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/699504-Probabilities-and-Irony