*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700204-Problem-Solving
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#700204 added June 27, 2010 at 7:47am
Restrictions: None
Problem Solving
Problem Solving

Science is a great respecter and practitioner of the Scientific Method. To a scientist the process borders almost on a religion. They use it to find answers to tangible and earthly problems.

The military is also interested in the Method and uses it more in a social or artistic sense. They are interested in how to best use resources to defeat an enemy. Since I know something of how the Military method works I’ll share what I know. It has great application in life.

First let me say that whenever someone faces a decision they must realize that if they do nothing, nature will provide an outcome. I call this the natural default. Just as computers are programmed to provide an output for a null action, so does nature. Nature functions very well when mankind does nothing.

Second let me point out that there is a big difference between deciding to do something and deciding how you intend to do it. In the Military deciding to act proceeds in theory, determining how you act. Makes sense, however the processes are different…I’ll get to that in a minute.

So if f you decide you don’t like the outcome that nature is likely to provide if you do nothing, you might decide to improve on that by taking an action. The action you take depends of course on the problem you face. This is a very interesting aspect of the process. This is that no two people seem to define a problem in exactly the same way. That’s Right! Would you believe that if ten people look at the same set of circumstances , they will not all see exactly the same thing. Let me provide a vignette to demonstrate.

Snow White was walking in the forest. She was doing this despite the fact that her mother had warned her not to. Her father was the Forest Meister after all and what had she to worry about.? She was a headstrong young woman and decided the reason for her mothers prohibition was that something wonderful was awaiting inside that mom didn’t want her to find out about. Maybe a hot looking handsome young prince. Soon she lost all sense of direction and seemed to be walking in circles. Before long it began to get on in the day and she despaired what to do next. Glad I brought my stiletto, she thought feeling it in her garter. At that moment a wolf dressed like a little old lady stopped and offered his assistance.

“May I be of service?” he inquired.

“My what long sharp teeth you have,” she observed.

The Wolf answered, “I do love it when someone compliments my appearance.”

“My,” she continued, “and what sharp claws you have.”

“You should see them after I get my nails done, they’re simply gorgeous.“

“And what is that long thing, wagging behind you?”

“Don’t mind that, I use it for swishing the flies away.”

He seems friendly enough, thought Snow White, “ Perhaps you can show me the way out of the forest,” she asked.

“Where did you enter from?” the Wolf inquired.

“From my Mother’s farm.”

“That isn’t much help, my Dear. This is a big forest and there are thousands of farms scattered about…”

TIME OUT

Let me pause and ask here what Snow White’s problem is. I will post any responses tomorrow. Don’t be shy, I won’t attribute them, unless you get it right…



© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/700204-Problem-Solving