*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/701264-Reconnections
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#701264 added July 10, 2010 at 11:20pm
Restrictions: None
Reconnections
      Recently, I came across the address of an old friend with whom I have not corresponded in about 10 years. It's been even longer since we saw each other face to face. I sent her a card. She's very stable in a solid marriage. I knew the address would still be good. She emailed me back and asked for my phone number. I emailed it to her. Last night, she called and we talked over an hour!

      So much has happened. Her little girl was home-schooled the last 5 years of school. I had no idea. I could do the math and knew that she'd be over 21 now. All of her brothers and sisters are still hanging in there. Her young niece is very successful, has given up the motorcycle for horses, and is in her third marriage of 10 years. My friend and her husband are retired. The daughter is still living at home for now. A mutual friend of ours passed away.

      She knew that I had gotten married, and that the marriage was troubled. I don't think she realized I had gone through with the divorce. Now he passed away six months ago, and I grieved despite the divorce. My mother passed away. I had moved several times, and am back with my father, who is still working, gardening and driving in his 80's. My middle brother is a grandfather to his delight, while brother number 3 and his wife have been unsuccessful in having children and in adopting children. My nieces, etc., etc. I still have to work, and in this economy, I have found job hunting difficult for an over-educated, old woman.

      Still it felt nice to hear a familiar voice, to recall camping disasters, seeing belly dancing, and going to concerts. The spirit still wants to be young, although the body says, "Take it easy." No way would I sleep on the ground in a pup tent these days, or climb the side of The Peaks of Otter, in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I will always recall her wedding as one of the most unique I have ever attended, and relish the memory of the party afterward at her friend's house on the side of a steep West Virginia mountain, with spectacular scenery below.

      I regret all the years we didn't communicate. Each of us was so busy with our own paths. But today, we are in contact again. We are rich in memories and still have those old ties. I'm glad. We have today, and that counts. 

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/701264-Reconnections