*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/702495-Rust
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#702495 added July 28, 2010 at 8:28am
Restrictions: None
Rust
Rust

Rust is the great killer of cars. Properly maintained a car will last a long time but the stuff they spread on the roads in the wintertime (i.e. Chloride and other salt substances) will begin its work from the start and work relentlessly.

Rust will be encountered in different states and should be dealt with accordingly. There is surface rust, pitting, small holes and large holes.

Surface Rust. After removing the paint and crud sand it with emery paper and clean it with mineral spirits. Wipe it with a paper towel or rag. You are ready to primer.

Pitting. After stripping sand the high points down and clean as best you can. Apply a film coat of body filler and sand smooth. You are ready to primer.

Small holes, pits and cracks. The purist will cut these out. The novice should paint over these with a rust converter, like POR. This stuff is hard to sand but it can be done. When you’re finished it will be like a black plastic coating. Skim with Bondo (Body filler)

Large holes or severely deteriorated metal. Don’t be too quick to cut this out. If it can be treated with the rust converter, do that. If it must be removed cut out a rectangular or square shape. Then cut a patch a third larger and secure it from the back side. If you have no welding experience secure it with rivets and special metal adhesive. Add body filler and sand.

Dents should be worked with a hammer and dolly. Don’t get to aggressive. It is better to have a dent too low than too high. Too low and you can fill it in with Bondo.

Be advised I am aiming this blog to the novice who is short on tools, space resources and skills. It is for those who drive around in cars and truck with a body in need of a cleanup and refurbishing. Note I am not using the word “Restoration” here. "Respectability," is the operative word for the novice. As you try different things your skills will improve and you can try more complex repairs

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/702495-Rust