*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/703823-Musings
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#703823 added August 13, 2010 at 4:35pm
Restrictions: None
Musings
Elson felt the cell phone's hollow ring down deep in her gut like a foreboding vibration. "Where was he?" She glanced at the clock's red digital display for the hundreth time. "2:30 am. He was hours later then he said he would be".

As Elson mulled over her husband's possible explanations for not calling, she dropped a hand down to caress the baby's silky soft hair. This wasn't like Martin. Even before the baby, he was responsible and courteous. He would never give her cause to worry needlessly. Something is not right. Elson thought about the logistics of getting her four month old into his car seat without waking him and taking off into the night in search of her wayward husband. "Not a good idea", she decided, when visions of Jacob launching into one of his colic-induced screaming fits ran through her mind. Just as she was contemplating calling the police, the house phone rang, the caller id flashing the number of Martin's cell. Relief gave way to a red hot rage by the time she brought the phone to her ear..

"Martin, what the fuck?" She shouted, forgetting momentarily about the baby sleeping by her side.

"Els, just listen. Listen please...I don't have much time." Martin's voice was tinged with something Elson had never heard before. It took a few moments for her to give it a name, he sounded terrified.

"I love you. You and Jacob are my whole world. I love you."

Three short bursts signaled that the call had been lost. Elson dialed the cell back with shaking fingers. It rang only once before switching over to voicemail. She stood listening to her husband's recorded voice urging her to leave a message.

"Martin, I don't know what is going on, please call me back. Please." Elson sank down on the bed next to Jacob, feeling her stomach turning over and over again. Martin had sounded so strange. As the minutes passed without a return call, it became harder and harder to keep back the terrible thoughts and fears. After a hour, and repeated failed attempts to get Martin, Elson called the police.

They found Martin's car two nights later in the parking lot of the local Home Depot, miles from where he was supposed to be meeting his buddies for a few drinks after work.

© Copyright 2010 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/703823-Musings