*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/704393-Disassmebly-of-the-Engine
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#704393 added August 22, 2010 at 7:33am
Restrictions: None
Disassmebly of the Engine
Disassembly of the Engine

Yesterday was a grind. If you have never torn an old engine down before be advised that it’s a dirty business. I was filthy when I finished and needed two applications of hand goop to get the grease off.

Henry came over and gave me some advice on getting the valves out. With his help I removed 6. Then I picked the block up with the hydraulic bucket and set it on the apron of the shop turned upside down. I removed the oil pan and was able to gaze into the innards of the engine. The lower end as they call it looked good, better than the top end. With the help of an impact operated air wrench I began removing the retainer and bolts that held the pistons to the crank shaft. Then I removed the pistons. Next came the main caps holding the crankshaft in place. It was a long process but hit no snags and soon the whole thing was disassembled. I picked up the block and turned it right side up and replaced it in the stand and began to tackle the remaining valves.

An eight cylinder engine has 16 valves. Eight are intake and eight are exhaust. Six were already out and I found now I could turn the cam shaft and get some of the remaining to begin to move. As the did I removed them with a slight (yeah right!) tap of the hammer and a prying bar like tool. One I broke off and three just refused to move. The rest I got out. So what remains of the disassembly are 3 valves a broke stem and getting the cam shaft out. Then it will be ready to be hot tanked (Cleaned in solvent) and ready for the machine work.

What remains laying out on the apron of the shop is a trail of greasy parts and a big mess which I had better have cleaned up before my wife gets home. Also the floor. In addition I need to relocate all the “Stuff” that has been accumulating that has no immediate use but that keeps accumulating in the shop and garage. I like a clean shop and right now the facility looks like a pig sty. Not really but definitely way below standards.

I have decided that the S-10 and the Stude are too much to take on right now and will concentrate my efforts on the engine and the ‘40 Ford. While I am in the clean-up mode I’ll be thinking about what to do this week to move things along. On Monday my class in writing.com starts. I will be doing it after I finish everything else, sitting up with my laptop at night. Should be enough to put me right to sleep.

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/704393-Disassmebly-of-the-Engine