*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/704579-Repo
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1587540
Not hardcore enough to be ultra nerdy, but it's not that shallow, either.
#704579 added August 24, 2010 at 10:52pm
Restrictions: None
Repo!
Oh, it's been a while since I've written in here, although I have dabbled in sci-fi stuff. I actually finished A Canticle for Leibowitz and hope to have a product review for that by the end of the month. Likewise, I did get to see Star Trek under the stars a couple weeks ago. Gotta love summer movies in the park! This entry, though, will be primarily about the following movie.

ASIN: B001MT7ZEW
Product Type: DVD
Amazon's Price: $ 5.99


Reactions to this film are and will always be mixed. The reason is because mixing rock opera with a somewhat detailed story results in an intense production. Most musicals have fairly easy to follow (if not somewhat melodramatic) storylines. Repo! has a story which requires the viewer to pay attention in order not to get too lost. If this had been done as a straight musical and not opera, I think it would have been more effective in cinematic feature form. Keep in mind this is an adaptation of a stage work. Anyway, the concept is actually rather intriguing, even though it's not new. Nathan's double life as a doctor/repo man is the greatest development of this concept. Likewise, the setting is utterly dystopic in every way, which includes Nathan and Shiloh's antique-laden home. The aesthetic is clearly gothic, but its contrast of perpetual darkness and overly harsh light give it a much more sinister angle. On top of that, not all the costumes adhere to that particular style, as we see bits of grunge, burlesque and new millennium business suit thrown in to develop a world that is somewhat close to reality.

Overall, I liked the concept, and some of the performances surprised me. I was especially taken aback by Paris Hilton as Amber Sweet. I won't give away any spoilers here, but you will only recognize her in one scene. Otherwise, everything about her from hair to voice and even posture are all Amber Sweet. I know it's cool to hate on Paris Hilton, and I don't care for her as a person. This movie made me think that given the right material and some training she actually could be a decent actress. I don't think she's Oscar material by any means, but she can disappear into a character and make us forget who she is for a while. On the other hand, I wasn't fond of the all music all the time. Never mind the fact that it was heavy metal. Even if it had been jazz, it would have been too much. I think going for individual songs and rewriting some of the scenes as straight dialogue would have been more effective. It might have also changed the tone of some of the scenes. When Shiloh sings to her dying dad (and he sings back), the whole shindig screamed incest to me. I don't know. Had there been more talking and less singing there, I'd probably feel differently.

Overall, I liked it. I didn't love it, but I thought it was a pretty decent film. It's not a good mainstream film, and it's probably too horror focused to be really rich sci-fi. Still, it's worth a look.


© Copyright 2010 Elisa the Bunny Stik (UN: soledad_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elisa the Bunny Stik has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/704579-Repo