*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706140
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1708097
Evan is overcoming his past and building his future in a small town.
#706140 added September 15, 2010 at 11:08am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 9: The Dinner
Chapter 9 – The Dinner





Thursday afternoon, Andrew was at work. He had already survived the daily assaults of Mr. Wimberly, and was feeling surprisingly tactful. Betty, the other of Mr. Jacobs’ assistants was out of town. She and her husband had gone to Daytona Beach for the week. It was a very quiet day.


He picked up the phone and called over to the dry cleaner’s. It was 1:30, but Myrtle hadn’t left yet. It was she who answered the phone.


“Is Evan there?”


“May I ask who’s calling?”


“Andrew Garrison, Engrid’s new neighbor.”


“Yes, of course, I’ve heard about you.”


He doubted that was a good thing.


“Is Evan available?”


“I’ll go see.” She put the phone down on the counter and walked to the back of the store. Apparently the whole town knew of the relationship between Evan and Engrid and so knew that the newspaper story meant that Andrew had an itchy trigger finger when it came to calling the police and not that Evan had tried to rob Engrid. The people in this town clearly knew each other well and looked out for one another. In a minute or two, Evan came on the line.


“Evan, this is Andrew.”


“I know. What is it?” He sounded pleasant enough.


“I know we’ve gotten on off on a bad foot, but I was wondering if you were busy for dinner tonight.”


“It would be nearly 8:00 by the time I got everything closed down and cleaned up and got over to your place.”


Andrew almost jumped from his desk- it wasn’t a no.’ “It’s a little late, but 8:00 would be good. Do you want to?”


Evan thought about it for a moment. Since the newspaper article hadn’t totally destroyed him in town, he wasn’t as upset as he had been on Saturday. He thought about it and then said, “Sure, why not. 8:00 tonight, your house. What’s on the menu?”


“Haven’t decided. What do you like?”


“I’m not picky. I’ll eat anything that doesn’t try to eat me first. But if it does, I might bite back.” Then there was just a hint of laughter in his voice.


Andrew thought to himself, ‘Did Evan just flirt with me?’ That couldn’t be possible. “Okay- I’ll keep that in mind. So, 8:00?”


“Sure. I’ll be there.” They hung up. Evan was actually a little excited. He was also nervous. He was going to get to talk to Andrew one on one- alone. He found himself weirdly drawn to Andrew and he knew pretty certainly that Andrew was gay and was attracted to him. There was just something about him that no one but Evan seemed to notice.


5:00 had arrived. Andrew hurried to the grocery store because he had a date tonight. Whatever he cooked, it had to be good. He was hurrying up and down the aisle panicking over what he was going to cook. As he was reading the label on a box of pasta salad, he heard a voice.


“Are you Andrew Garrison?”


“Yes.” He said turning to face the stranger.


“My name is Dora Murchison. I’m your next door neighbor on the other side from Engrid. I’m a friend of hers she was telling me the other day what a wonderful person you were. I thought I recognized you. I saw you from a distance a couple of days ago.”          


“Hi, Mrs. Murchison,” he said shaking her hand. “It’s good to meet you.”


“I’m glad I got to meet you. Are you settling in, so forth and all?”


“I’m slowly getting unpacked.”


“Well, that’s nice. I hope you have a good day.”


“You too, Mrs. Murchison.”


She walked away. Finally, he was starting to make connections in this town. Soon, he would be able to go around town and greet people by name and they would greet him the same way. It was going to be wonderful. He was even more cheerful now than he had been before. After he decided to make Caesar salad, pot roast with vegetables and some other things, he got home.


Once in his kitchen it was almost 6:30. He wondered why it would take Evan an hour to get here from the dry cleaner’s if it closed at 7:00. How in the world would it take him an hour to get everything cleaned up? He raced around and got everything together.


6:55. He was setting the table in the kitchen. He decided that the formal dining room would be too much for the occasion. Maybe a candlelit dinner in the dining room with Sinatra in the background was a bit much given the circumstances. Maybe that could be a plan for Valentine’s Day. He was so excited that Evan was coming for dinner. Evan was pretty sure he was coming for a date. He wasn’t sure exactly why the felt that way, it was just a feeling he got about the situation. He didn’t really know what was about to happen to him. All he knew was that he was intrigued. He was interested to see what Andrew had in store.


*                    *                    *


6:55. Mrs. Bainbridge was leaving the store. She was a young wife and mother who frequented the store. Her own husband was pitifully unattractive and not a very nice person. So, the town’s theory was that she came to the dry cleaner’s often just so she could see Evan for a few minutes. Anyone with half a brain would be attracted to Evan. There was even a rumor in town that she was having an affair with him. But most people didn’t actually believe that one because no one thought he would do something like that. Evan was one of the most moral and upright people they knew. As far as the townsfolk knew, he’d never done anything wrong in his life.


When he was arrested for stealing a car, it turned out that it was a car that looked just like his that had the keys left in it. It was immaculately neat like his so Evan just assumed he must have left his keys in it- which he frequently did so he wouldn’t lose them. So, Evan started the car. The actual owner came out of the store and saw Evan driving away in his car. Of course he called the police and reported it stolen. The police pulled him over and arrested him for grand theft auto. Oops. The DUI arrest was for real, but not many people knew about that one.


Mrs. Bainbridge was gone and the place was quiet. He locked up the front doors and turned the ‘open’ sign around to ‘closed.’ He went to the back and cleaned up everything and went out to his car. He wasn’t sure what tonight was really about. He couldn’t shake the notion that Andrew was attracted to him and he indeed was attracted to Andrew. It was the strangest thing.


Evan decided, just to be safe, to go home and take a shower and wear something clean and neat to go over there. He didn’t know for what, but just in case.


He walked in his house. His mother was upstairs in her room reading.


“Where’re you going?” She asked as he hurried past her open bedroom door. He turned around and poked his head in the doorway.


“I’m going out to dinner, Ma.”


“Oh. Okay. I guess I’ll clean up the dishes later.”


“No, I’ll do that when I get back.”


“Okay. Who are you going out with?”


“Andrew.”


“That’s nice. I’m glad you’re trying to be friends.”


“We’ll see, ma. Love you.”


“Love you too dear.”


He went and took a shower and put on a white dress shirt and black pants and black shoes and matching black socks. Shocking, I know. When he walked back past her bedroom, she looked up and was startled. Evan dressed up without being forced. She was amazed. He hadn’t dress that nicely for his great Aunt Bernice’s funeral last spring. She didn’t say anything to him about it and he walked quickly down the stairs. She glanced at the clock. 7:50, it was awfully late for dinner, she thought. Something was up- she could sense it. It was mother’s intuition, she guessed. She figured Evan must have a date, but with whom? It certainly couldn’t be Andrew. The Andrew bit was obviously a cover, but who could the date be with and why hadn’t he said anything about it earlier?


7:50. Andrew was rushing around making sure everything was perfect for his guest. He wanted Evan to like being here. If he was going to woo a closeted man while being closeted himself, it was going to take considerable effort. He smoothed all the wrinkles out of the white tablecloth. He had used white ceramic dishes with a faux China pattern and his new silverware. He hoped it wasn’t too much. But now he was armed with the new information that Evan was a man of the world who had lived in New York- so this type of pageantry over dinner wouldn’t distress him too much.


7:55. Evan’s black Jeep Cherokee drove up and parked behind Andrew’s black Nissan Pathfinder. Andrew heard the vehicle drive up and went to look out of his front window. He was as startled to see Evan dressed up as Evan’s mother had been. Evan walked up to the door and rang the doorbell. Andrew opened it.


“Hi, Evan. Thanks for coming.”


“Not a problem,” Evan replied, smiling. Andrew returned the smile with his own.


“Come in!” Andrew stepped aside and Evan crossed the threshold into Andrew’s house.


They walked noiselessly through the house and into the kitchen.


“It’s almost finished,” Andrew pulled a chair away from the table and Evan sat down and slid up to the table. Andrew grinned. Evan smiled back at him. It was too perfect.


“Did you have a good day at work?” Evan asked.


“It was good. Quiet but good,” He was so nervous he could barely stand it.


“Good. It was about normal at the store today.”


“Lots of dirty laundry, I guess.”


“Always.” Evan was still smiling. Seeing the place settings, he was glad he had trusted his instincts and dressed up for the occasion. He had somehow known what Andrew was up to the moment he asked him to come to dinner. Soon, the food was ready.


“Do you need some help?” Evan asked.


“No, I’ve got it. Thanks. You just sit and relax. I’ve caused you enough trouble lately.”


Evan smiled. That much was true.


“Do you like wine?”


“Yeah.” Evan replied.


“What kind?”


“Gewurstrameiner.”


Andrew just stood perfectly still. It took him a second to realize that Evan knew what he was talking about.


“Really?”


“Yeah.”


“How do you know about that?”


“You’d be surprised. I know a lot of things, Mr. Garrison.” Evan said with a mock seductive voice.


“I’ll bet you do,” Andrew replied coyly. They weren’t even drunk yet and they were already coming on to one another.


“Well, I’m fresh out of Gewurstrameiner, so any others you like?”


“What are we having?”


“Pot roast.” Andrew replied with a twinkle in his eye- wine with beef?


“Hmmm. I think pot roast would be a beer occasion. Got any of that Mr. Fancy Pants?”


“I’ve got some French wine in the cellar and some beer in the fridge.”


“You have a cellar?”


“Well, a closet.”


“You keep your wine in a closet?”


“I keep a lot of things in a closet.”


“I’ll be you do,” Evan cracked a huge smile. Andrew laughed. Andrew went to the closet off the kitchen and pulled down a bottle of red wine. He uncorked it and poured too full glasses. He was in a wine mood.


“Andrew, I hope this isn’t too forward, but what to you really think of me? Or do we need the wine first?”


“We need wine first. Lots of it.”


Evan picked up his glass and sipped a little of it.


“Oh, that’s good. Where’d you get it?”


“France.”


“Really?”


“No. I got at the store, silly.” He took a big gulp of the wine and sat the glass back down.


“No shit?”


“Not a speck.”


They sat quietly for a few minutes as they sipped and the wine started to work its magic.


“Back to my original question.”


“What was that?”


“I’ve been trying to figure out what you actually think of me. I’m really not sure.”


“I think you’re a very nice person…….Now, let’s eat. I’m hungry.”


They both loaded their plates down with food and started to munch.


“No, seriously. Specifically, what do you think of me? Do you think I’m dumb?”


“No.”


“Do you think I’m ugly?”


“No, no, not at all!” Andrew was aghast at the suggestion.


“What do you think of me?” Evan was half fishing and half wishing. He was fishing for a favorable answer. He had left Grant and New York a year and a half almost two years ago. He ached to be with someone again. His body longed to be held and touched. Doing that here in Deerfield was dangerous and he never felt like there was anyone he really connected with. Andrew was different. Evan was hoping to God that Andrew liked him. Evan was afraid that Andrew wouldn’t like him and it wasn’t like he’d had given him much encouragement in that department. Evan had learned to be guarded with his body and with his relationships.


All the fancy table decorations and the wine and dinner with just the two of them. He was so convinced Andrew was gay that he would have sworn an affidavit to that effect, but he wasn’t brazen enough to be the one to make the first move. This was Andrew’s house; it was Andrew’s responsibility to make the first move.


Evan ate his pot roast and waited for Andrew to say something.


“Evan, I have to ask you something.”


“What is it?” Evan knew what the question was and he was ready for it- he thought.


He sat looking at Andrew. He knew Andrew wasn’t ready to ask this question, but he had to. His mouth was dry and pasty, his heart was pounding in his ears waiting to hear what Andrew had to say.


“Evan, are you gay?” Andrew’s mouth was dry and pasty, his heart was pounding in his ears.


Evan sat quietly for a second. It was like in the movies when a car drives off a cliff and all the music fades away, everything gets silent, and goes into slow motion. That was Evan’s mind at that moment.


“Yes. I am. Are you?”


“Yes.” Andrew sat back; the relief was evident for both of them. The pressure was now off. That was out in the air and they both felt infinitely better for it.


“Andrew?”


“Yes, Evan.”


“Have you ever…you know….been with someone?” He leaned forward. He wanted to know just how serious Evan was being.


“Yes.”


“How many?”


“Just two. In college.”


“Were you in love?”


“No. I’ve never been in love.”


“You?”


“Once. When I lived in New York, I had a boyfriend for almost two years. We were almost partnered, but I wanted to move back here and he wouldn’t hear of it. The only thing I loved more in this world than Grant was this place. So, we broke up. I cried for months. Then I moved back here and went back to work at the store.”


“Why did you go to New York in the first place?”


“It wasn’t here. I got there and totally loved it. I fell in love with the city, but then after several years, I realized that it wasn’t home. I could live there and be okay and be relatively happy, but at the end of the day, I’d rather be here. It’s pretty simple, really. I tried to look Grant up right after I moved back here but he had moved too, so I have no idea where he is now.”


“I’m sorry.”


“No, it’s a good thing. Could you imagine if Grant had moved here with me? The town would go into an uproar and he’d be miserable.”


“Where’s Grant from?” Now that the focus had shifted slightly, they could both relax a minute.


“Craftsbury Common, Vermont. He took me home several times to visit his family. They have a dairy farm up there and they do what’s called ‘sugaring’ in the spring when they make maple syrup.”


“That’s awesome. What made it ‘common?’ ”


Evan smiled- he was educating the obnoxious know-it-all. “There are three pieces. Craftsbury, Craftsbury Common, and East Craftsbury. I’m not really sure how the three are related. They’re sort of different areas of the same place, but they’re not the same place- they’re different. I don’t really know, actually. Craftsbury Common is called that because of this big grassy open spot in the middle.”


“Oh. What did you and Grant do there?”


“He and I would go snow skiing in the mountains in Vermont and he would show me Mt. Washington over in New Hampshire. We rode on snow machines. It was awesome. I love traveling. But, I don’t get to do much of it anymore. That’s part of why we want to hire a manager to take care of the store. I’m tired of it and ready to do something else with my life.”


“What do you want to do?”


“I don’t know. Anything. I’m ready to go live somewhere else for a while. I love it here, but...”


“Where do you want to go?”


“I wouldn’t mind moving back to New England. It’s absolutely beautiful up there. Have you ever been up there?”


“Yeah. My uncle had a mistress in Maine, so I stayed with her son while he went out. I don’t know how they met. We spent most of his leave time in South Portland.”


“Maine’s nice. Vermont’s nicer.”


“Probably.” Andrew admitted. As the conversation paused, Andrew’s mind wondered a bit. He remembered Maine. Maine was a nice place, but it would probably always be connected in his mind to that rancid old goat of a mistress and her twisted son. Andrew’s uncle was a sadly unattractive man who managed to find the most disastrously unattractive women. As luck would have it, her son was a flaming queen and had the hots for Andrew. Her son decided to make out with Andrew- Andrew had other plans that involved bodily harm should James William Tarrington III lay a horny finger on him. A sad display ensued. See, the problem wasn’t that Jimmy was ugly. In fact, he wasn’t half bad. He was weird and socially inept, but the real problem was that Andrew was 14 years old. Jimmy was 8. Andrew had tried to explain why they could never fall madly in love and get married because Andrew way older than him. Jimmy had insisted that it didn’t matter. Andrew had a devil of a time trying to figure out where the notion came from. It was Evan’s warm, resonant voice that snapped Andrew back to reality.


“If you could have lived anywhere in the world, why did you pick this hole?”


“I don’t know. I moved to the state to go to college and I didn’t feel like moving anywhere else, so I picked this place because I got a job at the investment firm.”


“That’s it? That’s the sob story that brought you to our town?”


“’Fraid so.”


“Dude, that’s sad. We need to get you a life.”


“Look who’s talking.”


Evan smiled. Andrew had a point. Evan could talk to Andrew forever it seemed.


About 9:00, Andrew and Evan went into the living room to watch TV. Evan sat down on the couch while Andrew went to the shelf of movies.


“What do you feel like watching?”


“Whatever. As long as it’s not too long.” Evan leaned back in the couch and watched Andrew. He wasn’t so bad after all. He was a tinge ashamed of what he’d said to Engrid about him.


“Can you speak whale?” Andrew asked, casting Evan a glance over his shoulder.


“Yahwooeraeewurakoo.” Evan said, opening his mouth widely and rolling his head around doing an impression of Dorry from Finding Nemo.


“You are too cute,” Andrew said.


“I try,” Evan replied, “Gotta love me!”


“I’ll try,” Andrew responded, trying to sound unconvinced, “But no promises.”


Andrew looked at Evan. He had taken his shoes off and was sitting back on the big poofy couch and had snuggled down with a throw pillow. It took every ounce of will power Andrew possessed not to leap onto the couch and start making out with Evan right that instant.


They started the movie and settled down on the sofa next to one another. After the movie ended they talked some more. Andrew leaned in closer to Evan. Evan didn’t seem to mind. Andrew moved up and pressed his lips to Evan’s. Evan reciprocated at first, then broke away.


“What’s the matter?” Andrew asked.


“I’d better go,” Evan said, he was suddenly in a hurry to leave. He’d seemed so relaxed, but now so rushed.


“No, stay. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.”


“That’s okay, I know you didn’t. I just need to go.”


Andrew sat back on the couch as Evan stood to leave. Andrew raised his hand up. Evan grasped his hand in his own and looked into Andrew’s eyes. Then, he let go, turned and walked away. He let himself out. Andrew sat on the couch. All he’d wanted was a kiss. Maybe a little cuddling, but mainly he wanted a kiss. He’d gotten that, but at what price? One thing he had learned from the evening: Evan was indeed gay and thus a target for courting. He knew he needed to be subtle about it due to their current cultural surroundings.


Engrid was talking on her telephone to Dora. She was sitting in her living room overlooking the grassy expanse that lay between her house and Andrew’s.


“Well, I don’t know what we’re going to do if this new grant proposal isn’t approved for the children.”


“What will it do?” Engrid asked. The library had applied for a federal grant to open a room dedicated to children’s books.


“We’ll be able to have more kids for story time and we’ll be able to have lots of books for the kids to read. They’ll learn so much, it would be a crying shame to keep them from being able to learn.”


“So true,” Engrid said. She heard a car drive up outside. She leaned over the arm of her chair and looked.


“Oh, that’s Evan.” She said out loud to herself.


“Not him again. I’ve heard enough about that boy the last couple of weeks to last me two lifetimes.”


“He drove up outside.”


“Do I need to let you go?”


“No, no. That’s the strange thing, it’s not my house he drove up in front of.”


“Let me guess…Andrew’s.” She said condescendingly.


“Yes. Who else?”


“So, your plot has…”


“My goodness.” Engrid moved over from the armchair to the divan by the window and crouched down so as not to be spotted.


“What?” Dora’s curiosity had been sparked- despite her best efforts to seem disinterested. She walked over to her own fenestrian overlook and pulled back the drapes.


“Evan is dressed up.”


“So?”


“I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen Evan dressed up and still have fingers left over.”


“Maybe it’s a city thing.” She was curious too, but not about to let on to Engrid.


“He’s not in the city.”


“I know, but he knows Andrew’s familiar with the city so maybe he’s trying to make an impression.”


“Why? Evan hates Andrew with an unabated passion.”


“Maybe not- maybe that’s just what they want us to think.”


“It just doesn’t make sense. Why would he be going to Andrew’s house at 8:00 on a Thursday night? Let alone in a white dress shirt and nice pants.”


“I dunno.”


“And black dress shoes. I didn’t know Evan even owned a pair of dress shoes.”


“Well, Engrid, I’m sure he has lots of outfits you’ve never seen.”


“Why is he so dressed up?”


“Maybe it’s a business meeting.”


“For what?”


“Maybe Evan wants some investment advice about the store?”


“At 8:00 on a Thursday night from someone he despises? It just doesn’t add up, Dora. I’m telling you, there’s something fishy going on here.”


By now Evan had disappeared into Andrew’s house. In order to get a clear view of the goings on inside, she had to move into the library. She jostled down the main hallway to the library, about halfway down the length of the house.


“What’s that rustling noise?” Dora asked.


“I’m running.”


“What on earth for?”


“They moved. I want to see what’s going on. Andrew’s kitchen light is on.”


She reached the library and quickly seated herself in a high backed armchair. She moved it a little to the side so she had a better view of Andrew’s kitchen window.


“Leave them alone, Engrid. Really. It’s none of your business what they’re doing. Just shut your blinds and leave them be.”


“You were interested a minute ago.”


“That was idle curiosity. What you’re doing is called espionage.”


“I am not spying. I am a concerned citizen.”


“You’re a confounded snoop is what you are.”


“I just want to make sure they’re alright.”


“It’s none of your business what those two are up to over there. Just stay out of it.”


“I know that. You sound just like Evan when I tried to get Andrew to go out with Penny.”


“You should have listened to him. Myrtle told me what happened and how they duped your old butt.”


“They did not ‘dupe’ me. I called their bluff.”


“Okay then. But you should leave them alone.”


“That’s odd.”


“What?” Dora couldn’t help but be curious.


“They’re eating dinner.”


“So?”


“It’s 8:00. It’s rather late for dinner don’t you…ooooh. They’re drinking wine. Fancy shmancy.”


“What kind?”


“How should I know?”


“Maybe they’re having Gewurstrameiner.”


“Ge-what?”


“Never mind.”


“I just don’t know what’s going on. It just seems fishy. Two guys who seem to despise one another having wine together on a random Thursday in May. It just doesn’t add up. What could I be missing?”


“Maybe they’re like Morgan.”


“Who’s Morgan?”


“You remember….the Hazelton boy.”


“What Hazelton boy?”


“You know him. He used to help me out kind of like Evan does for you.”


“Oh no! That’s definitely not what’s going on.”


“How can you be sure?” Dora was egging her on. Dora loved getting Engrid’s dust ruffles in a wad every now and then.


“But Morgan was…he was…well you know…different from the other boys.”


“Yes, Engrid, he was definitely different.”


“But he….you know….swung the other way.”


“Indeed he did.”


“He was a…you know…a homosexual.” Engrid said that word as if it was the most distasteful word in all of the English language.


“Yes. Poor thing. The worst part was that his…you know…companion….was the principal’s son Nathaniel Whitehurst.”


“Yes. I do remember that, now that you mention it. That was Evan’s principal when he was in high school- a completely dreadful old fool. But Morgan was different in other ways. These two aren’t like that at all.”


“What does that mean?”


“Well he was…you know…girly.”


“What?”


“Dora, he wore…you know…women’s things.”


“He did no such thing.”


“How do you know?”


“I just told you that he helped me out kind of like Evan does for you.”


“Oh, that’s right, I’d forgotten about that.”


“Morgan wasn’t girly. He was every bit as strapping a young man as Evan.”


“Well, I know Evan better’n I know myself. If he’s…you know….that way, then I’m James Earl Jones.”


“Well, then you may need to switch hormones.”


“Oh don’t be ridiculous.”


“Would you think differently of them if they were gay men?”


Engrid was still watching them through the window. She was convinced that wasn’t a possibility, but she was sure that there was a perfectly logical and innocent explanation for what she was seeing.


“Huh?” Engrid was only half listening.


“How would you feel if you found out that Andrew and Evan were…well…in love.”


“That’s absurd. Two men couldn’t possibly fall in love. You’re just being a silly old goose.”


“I am not. Morgan and Nathaniel were in love. I saw them together. They were as in love as any man and woman I’ve ever laid my earthly eyes on. And more in love than a lot of regular people I know.”


“No, no. That’s not what’s going on here. You’re right, they’re probably discussing business. Being a business meeting, they agreed to dress up for the occasion.”


“That’s what I told you at the start. Now, close your blinds and leave them alone. They’re just talking shop. It doesn’t concern you.”


“Okay then. I’ll talk to you later.”


Engrid hung up the phone. Without Dora chattering in her ear, she could concentrate on analyzing what she was seeing. They were still sitting at the table. After a few minutes, Engrid grew bored and went to put the portable phone back on its base.


Fortunately for Evan and Andrew, the living room was on the opposite side of the house from Engrid’s.


© Copyright 2010 Allen Buice (UN: allenga102 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Allen Buice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706140