*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706900
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1710532
Andrew and Engrid are on the lamb in this sequel to Outrunning Shadows.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#706900 added September 24, 2010 at 11:47am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 14: Une Fin Plaisante
Chapter 14: Une Fin Plaisante





         Engrid busily prepared for Thanksgiving Day. She’d spent much of the day before putting up the decorations- various fall foliages, some pumpkins and cornucopias. Engrid opened her door and greeted her guests. It was Thanksgiving Day and her friends and new friends were gathered under her roof and sharing time together. A difficult and trying year was winding down as they were now starting the final approach to Christmas and the new year.


         Andrew, Evan, Dora and Myrtle had already gathered. This time it was Amanda and her grandmother, Cecilia.


         “I’m glad you could make it!” Engrid said and ushered her new guests into the living room. She made introductions and then returned to the kitchen to finish preparing the Thanksgiving feast. She knew that as difficult as things had been for her this year, she knew that Amanda had been through infinitely worse and she needed a warm, safe place to spend the holiday.


         Once everyone was gathered around her dining room table, the spread before them, Engrid stood, smiling at the gathered assembly.


         A hush fell across the room.


         She began, “When this year is over, I can’t say I’ll be sad to see it go. My 89th year of life has been the most memorable and horrid year thus far. I know we’ve all been through a lot, but at least we’re here now and we all have a safe, warm place to spend this holiday. I am reminded how fortunate I am to have such good friends who are my family. I am so blessed in my life that I suppose I just wanted to share it with you all.”


         She sat down and the feast commenced.


© Copyright 2010 Allen Buice (UN: allenga102 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Allen Buice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706900