*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/707132-Splitting-Wood
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#707132 added September 28, 2010 at 12:26am
Restrictions: None
Splitting Wood
Splitting Wood

This morning I worked on my serial while Linda cooked breakfast. She made that thick sliced Canadian bacon, 4 slices for me, two for her and one each for the dogs. Chloe and Honey give her security and encouragement while she cooks.

After breakfast I went out into the yard and continued splitting the thin cut blocks of the huge oak that fell. Tomorrow I will finish with the trunk and then I still have another work session the finish the tops that remain.

We went to lunch at the Red Hill and my eyes were almost bigger than my stomach….I ordered a double of their deluxe hamburger…That was a mistake because I could hardly keep my eyes open on the way home. After a nap I started gathering up all the wood cutting paraphernalia and went out to get the M-37 up and running.

An M-37 is an old Army ¾ ton truck….Mine was built in 1953 and it has a top speed of about 40 miles an hour and runs comfortably at about 30. I couldn’t find the key and spent about half an hour looking for it. It was hanging on the push out bracket of the windshield. Linda spotted it and pointed out where it was. Then I couldn’t get it started and had to take off the carburator filter and squirt in some carb cleaner. Finally it sputtered to life and I spotted an empty trailer over by the wood pile.

Linda was shocked on Monday to discover that she had gained 4 lbs and in addition to going back on her diet told me she would load the wood I had split inside.

I loaded the truck with all the saw gear and went over to Joes. Joe had a stack of felled oak logs that he provides every year in return for borrowing my splitter for a week. I went right to work blocking and made some good progress. Tomorrow afternoon I will take the splitter over there and get started. When I finish with that pile I still have about 40 cords at Cals that I have to do…its good exercise.

I really like the latest episode of the Frank and Beth series. I’m getting better about writing a form of the genre that brings a load of energy without being over the top…. More tomorrow.

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/707132-Splitting-Wood