*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/707185-Flossies-249th-Lesson
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #973799
My lessons with Flossie, a roan Standardbred mare
#707185 added September 28, 2010 at 7:10pm
Restrictions: None
Flossie's 249th Lesson
FLOSSIE'S 249th LESSON

Beautiful day for a ride, weatherwise, but not so beautiful in regard to the machines that were roaring away by the railroad tracks near Des’ property this morning. They had both Flossie and Bambi on edge but not enough to make Flossie give out on me. She just acted like it a few times, but she didn’t balk.

All-in-all, Flossie didn’t work as well for me this week as she did last week. Too fast on the canter, for one thing, although her trot was slow, and not cooperative about taking the correct lead, for another. She didn’t back as well, either. I was lucky to get two steps out of her. At least she halted and didn’t dance around and chew on her shank. I told Pat when you ride only once a week, you have to take what you get. Considering that, Flossie’s doing pretty good, really.

When it came to carrots, neither Flossie nor Bambi wanted to come up to the gate because of the noisy machines that were working near it, but I managed to coax them over, anyway, and they even got used to having to look up suddenly, and/or turning around to face the machines when they moved closer, or their engines grew louder.

When Pat left, he started his truck from behind us again and roared past us while I had Flossie tied to the fence. All I could do was stand beside her in case there was trouble. Good ol’ Flossie, though, just took it in stride as she danced in place and swerved to take a look at the vehicle as it flew by. If Pat continues to expose her to this behavior, it won’t take any time at all before Flossie become totally desensitized to vehicles flying past at such close proximity.

The days have become ambivalent as far as temperatures go and one can tell it’s nearing the clove of seasons once again. Mornings are cold and afternoons are warm. Actually, when there isn’t a breeze, that winter sun can throw a real punch when you least expect it!

Flossie’s coat is the best indicator of spring’s impending appearance. Her hair is all over everything, including the washing machine. And, of course, the behavior of the magpies is another way to tell spring is near. They dive-bomb your head whenever you walk beneath a tree that holds a nest. Sometimes they infuriate the horses that are stalled. I’ve found many a dead magpie in Princess’ stall, and Pat found one in his gelding’s stall just this morning. The horses kick out and kill the birds with their hooves.

What a horrible way to go!




© Copyright 2010 Pony Tale (UN: ponita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pony Tale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/707185-Flossies-249th-Lesson