*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/707192-Flossies-254th-Lesson
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #973799
My lessons with Flossie, a roan Standardbred mare
#707192 added September 28, 2010 at 7:16pm
Restrictions: None
Flossie's 254th Lesson
FLOSSIE'S 254th LESSON

Too much rain kept me off the track last week, and, consequently, out of the saddle. Today I rode Flossie as though it were for the very last time because it just may very well be. I talked to Des before I rode today and I found out a little more information. Flossie’s going to live in Lancaster on some property with some friends of his granddaughter’s, who is a sixteen-year-old beginner rider. Her family is moving to the Gold Coast at the same time I’ll be flying to America next month. So Flossie won’t be living anywhere near her. I gave Des my phone number, and Norm’s, to give to Charlotte and he said as soon as Charlotte is moved into her new home he’ll give me her new address and phone number. Since I’ll be away when he gets that information, I’m going to make it a point to phone him for it as soon as I get back to Oz again at the end of next month.

The track was swollen from all the rain it’s had lately, and it was soft and dark. It was only muddy in one spot that we never use. There were no machines working and no rain. The clouds turned from grey and threatening to white and cherry before my very eyes. Then, before I left, it turned grey and threatening once again. Only the magpies, swooping down on my head over and over again and again, were a bother. My ride, itself, was spectacular and satisfying.

Flossie did everything I asked for. On the track and on the circle, I couldn’t find anything to fault her for. The grass was dry, astonishingly enough, and made for some good footing while we circled. I rode well, savoring every stride whether it be walk, trot, pace, or canter. I’ll never know another Flossie nor will I ever have the creek this way again.

I hosed her off in the wash rack for the first time in months. She followed me up to the rail very hesitantly, but I didn’t have to get after her. Not being experienced, Charlotte has no idea what a good horse she’s getting. She won’t appreciate Flossie’s soft mouth, quick response to aids, her understanding, trust, and ability to perform. Not until years later when she looks back and compares her to other mounts she’ll have know by then will she realize what a gift she had in Flossie.

I’m aiming for one more ride next week in spite of all the rain that’s once again in the forecast. I told Des I will be down rain or no rain, ride or no ride, for it will be my last opportunity not only because I’ll be overseas for three weeks, but because Flossie will be leaving me in the next week or so forever.

Before I left this morning, I gave Flossie and Bambi their last carrots for the week and tried to tell them through my tear-filled eyes how much I’m going to miss them. I told them they were going to new homes; Bambi to a brood farm, and Flossie to a new owner. Not only will they never see me again, but they will never see each other again, either. They are both in for a new life; a new environment and have no idea. I squeezed Flossie and held her tight and cried my eyes out.

The last horse I touched before I left Dessyland was Gary’s little colt. He put his soft muzzle in the palm of my hand and I held it for the precious thing it was. I love horses so much. I sure pray this will not be my last experience around them. How would I survive without them?

I better go. I need to dry my eyes and blow my nose and try to think about something nice. I can’t even think about my impending trip, now, without feeling sad. I hope my loss of Floss doesn’t interfere with my enjoyment in the long run. (Yes, the rhyme was intended.)





© Copyright 2010 Pony Tale (UN: ponita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pony Tale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/707192-Flossies-254th-Lesson