*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709727-Chapter-Six
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Shawn
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1720449
An ancient immortal wishes to tell his story.
#709727 added October 29, 2010 at 5:41pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Six
Chapter 6
                Making another attempt to swim across the river would have been suicide, so I breathed a sigh of relief when I understood that the old man was telling me there was a bridge downstream.
                Grani seemed as tired as me, but when I tried to lead him he would not have it.  So, I grabbed his mane and vaulted onto his back.  He gave no resistance and seemed quite comfortable with me there.  I guided him with my knees and heels and in no time he understood my desires.
                The old man was waiting for us under an ash tree.  He greeted me with a smile, patted the horse on the neck and said to me, “You’ve done well, young Sigurd.”
                “Thank you, Sir,” I said to him.  “His name is, Grani.”
                “So, he has told you his name already, has he?  What else has he told you?  Did he tell you of his lineage?”
                I did not know how to answer him.  How could a horse tell me anything?  I named him Grani because it was the first name that came to mind when I looked into his eyes.
              “You would be surprised at what an animal can tell you if you just take the time to listen.”  He was probably telling me this because of the bewildered look that I was giving him, but this last bit of information was not the first crazy thing I heard him say and it left me with no doubt that he was.
                He then spoke some words to the horse in a language that I did not understand, but it seemed to make Grani excited.  After he finished he told me something unbelievable, “This horse is no ordinary horse and you should never treat him as such.  He will take you on many journeys and save you in many battles.  He is the offspring of Sleipnir who is the horse of the All Father Odin and he can ride on the wind.  Treat him with much kindness and respect and he will treat you the same.”
                “I will,” was the only thing I could think to say in return.
                “Your home is in that direction,” he pointed on past the ash tree.  “Safe journey, Sigurd.”  This being said he returned my belongings to me.
                “And safe journey to you, Old Man.  You shall always be welcome in my home.”  I gave to him the sack containing what was left of the food I had brought along.
                “May your travels bring you fortune and your name ring through time as a hero,” he said with a bow.  Then he crossed the bridge and disappeared into the woods.  He vanished from my life just as quickly as he had entered.
© Copyright 2010 Shawn (UN: siguerd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shawn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709727-Chapter-Six