*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709731-Chapter-Ten
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Shawn
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1720449
An ancient immortal wishes to tell his story.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#709731 added October 29, 2010 at 6:09pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Ten
Chapter 10
                Reginn spent tireless hours making a sword for me and when it was finished he brought it to me.  I could not deny that it was a fine sword, but every warrior is taught to never enter battle with a weapon that has not been tested.  So, I practiced with it and used it just as it would be in battle, but it broke.
                Reginn made another and the result was the same.
                I remembered the broken sword that Mother had given me and I took it to Reginn and told him to forge a new one from the old one.  I told him that I would help him and together we forged Gram.
                I tested Gram against wood, stone and steel.  It cut everything in half.  I even threw a lock of wool into the river and when it floated against the blade it too was cut in two.  I was very pleased with this sword.
                Now that all preparations were made I made the announcement to my parents that I was off to make my own legend and fortune.
                Mother did what mother’s do, she cried.  No sooner was she finished with that when she started fretting if I had enough clothing and the proper gear so as not to appear in another court as a poor man.  She immediately set out to find all that I would need.
                Father, on the other hand, was just the opposite.  There was no doubt that this announcement made him proud.  It was a feast that he ordered, a banquet to honor my bravery and hope for a safe return home.  For three days we drank, laughed and dined.
                On the morning of the fourth day Reginn and I set out on our journey.  When we reached the lands of Germany Reginn became more excited.  It seemed he was very eager to have his revenge upon his brother, but I had to inform him that his vengeance would have to wait for I had my own act of retribution to perform.
                He was confused about this and asked who in this land had wronged me as if I would give him some childish answer.  When I told him that my real father was King Sigmund he looked surprised.  Germany was his home and he knew all of her stories, including the one about who had killed my father.
                He told me the tale of this Burgundian lord who had amounted to nothing since he killed a king who was trying to inspire his people to come together rather than stand apart.  He told me that people feared this lord because he made it known that he was the one who killed King Sigmund.  He told me how it would be simple to gain entrance to his keep and kill him then sneak away before anyone would discover what had happened and that nobody would miss him anyway.  I listened.
                I did not sleep much that night thinking of the decisions I had to make.  How would I handle this?  And then I knew and I did sleep.
                The next morning I did not tell my plan to Reginn.  I told him only that we were going to the fortress of this lord and that he was to accompany me as my vassal.  Considering that he actually was my servant, he had no qualms with this.  I assumed that he would do anything to get me through this safely so I could kill his brother.
                As we drew closer to the lands of Burgundy Reginn made mention that we should disguise ourselves and begin being more stealthy, but I told him no.  I said that we would approach the castle gates, announce who we are and ask for entrance so that we may have shelter and resupply ourselves.
              This idea was met with much discord from my companion, but once I explained to him that what I meant for us to do was to announce ourselves as being from Denmark with myself as the prince and he as my servant he seemed to understand me much more.  After all, it would not be a lie.
                When we came upon the fortress we followed thru with this plan and it actually worked.  They allowed us entrance and pointed us to the main hall so that we could make our pleasantries with the lord of the realm.  He, in turn, announced to us that we would be welcome to stay as long as we liked and that there would be a celebration that evening for my benefit.  After this we were allowed to excuse ourselves so that we might acquire whatever we may need.
                As we left the hall and started meandering our way towards the marketplace Reginn started to be concerned for my neck and made no qualms about telling me just what was on his mind, “You do know he is having us followed?”
                “I would expect nothing less,” I answered him.
                “He never trusts anybody.  No one except those closest to him can get near him.”
                “And why should it be otherwise?  Let him have us followed.  Let him be informed that we are doing exactly what we said we would do. He will not let his guard down and neither shall we.  I know where his men are and I have Gram.  I am well trained.  Do not worry, my friend.”
                “But you have never killed a man.  You have never felt your blade cut into your enemy’s body and sever muscle and bone.  Killing is not easy.”
                “Is getting others to do your killing for you easier,” I asked him maliciously.  He had to know that it was something that I was going to do one way or another.  I think he was taken by surprise with this though.  I had never spoken to him this way before, but in truth, he was my servant and it was time to show him that it was not the other way around.
                He stared at me with his mouth open for a brief moment and I stared back at him and I willed all of my strength and nobility to be projected in that stare.  He soon regained his composure and remembered his place and just as a servant should he walked one step behind me and did not question me again.
© Copyright 2010 Shawn (UN: siguerd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shawn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709731-Chapter-Ten