*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/711509-World-and-people-building
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1436307
This blog keeps me in touch with WDC. Jamesdillingham.com keeps me in touch elsewhere.
#711509 added November 16, 2010 at 8:13am
Restrictions: None
World and people building
I am 7 hours behind. After 15 days and 7 hours, I have reached the midway point of my novel.

I have made some unexpected discoveries.

I remember reading a series of Books by Dan Simmons. In these books, he created a device called a Farcaster. You could go through one of these portals and end up somewhere else. After a while, these things become so ingrained that I could almost expect to go outside and see one for real.

He created something in his mind and wrote it into reality.

This has happened several times in my NaNoWriMo story. For me, there have been a couple of Sci-Fi elements that are coming to life. One is the nano-bath which is a tub of nano-bots that can be programmed to create just about anything. They operate on a quantum scale and thus are subject to the probabilities of the extremely small. They even have a sort of personality.

Another is the Cloud-mind. This is my attempt to come up with something other than the standard Artificial Intelligence.

And finally there are my characters. I have introduced a few major ones and several smaller ones. As the story progresses, they start to take on unique personalities that I seem to have very little responsibility for. It's as if "they" are deciding who they want to be and I am merely the scribe.

When I get to 50,000 words, the story will be over. However, I will have to go back and flush out much of what I have written. Now that I know the characters, I can see how i need to change or add to what I wrote when they first come on to the scene.

I hope to get my 1,667 words done today. Now that I am caught up, I want to stay that way.

Jim

© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (UN: hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Hyperiongate has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/711509-World-and-people-building