*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/711827-Peace-on-earth-good-will---
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#711827 added November 20, 2010 at 1:38am
Restrictions: None
Peace on earth, good will . . .
  I read an interesting statement today, supposedly an old adage, but it was new to me. In every avalanche, there is a little snowflake saying softly, "Not guilty".

  How striking! A beautiful, tiny, delicate snowflake, so innocent and so appealing. Yet with millions of others like it, under the right circumstances, how terrifying!

    Most of us like the idea of peace on earth, non-violence, and loving kindness. We acknowledge that our earth is dangerous, unfriendly, rank with criminals and terrorists. What can we do about it? We're just individuals with no wealth or armies at our command, no heads of state to dial up. But we can make a difference in our own small way.

    First, we can practice the golden rule. Remember the childhood teaching to treat others the way we want to be treated, with civility and patience? Treating people in our homes, in our communities, our nation, and our world with respect and dignity goes a long way toward keeping the peace.


    We can also turn the other cheek, refusing to seek revenge or get even, another familiar teaching to all of us. That would include traffic, rush hour, and shopping. It doesn't mean playing a victim or succumbing to bullying. Gandhi set some good examples for us.

    We can forgive others when we have been wronged. That doesn't mean pretending nothing happened. But we can release the anger and let it go. It's good for us when we're not steaming under the collar and holding a grudge. But it may also lead the other person(s) to have a change of heart.

    We can work for justice, near and far. The less fortunate, the recovering addicts, ex-offenders, the refugees, the oppressed, the abused, and many others all need advocates. We can address social ills and take a stand for those in need. Acts of charity are acts of peace and set an example for others to follow.

    We also can teach young people, and older people, too, non-violent ways to resolve conflict. Humans always will have conflict, but we don't have to resort to swearing, bullying, insults, gangs, bombs, or road rage. Too many children, teens, and young adults do not know how to deal with feelings of anger and hurt and pride. Many parents don't know either from the reports of violence by parents at kids' sports.

    We can also encourage them to meet people of other backgrounds and ethnicity. We ourselves can have compassion for those who don't look like us, or live like we do. Listening to other people, instead of always talking, is an act of peace.

    Each of us has the power in our daily lives to practice peace, to teach it and to lead others to work for it. We can resolve not to ignore injustice and violence around us, but to take a bold stand against strife,discord, racism, violence, and abuse. We won't win any prizes. We may experience self-denial, disappointment, and sacrifice. We'll have to exercise self-control and go out of our way. But our small acts of peace may begin a movement.

    Good will and peace to you.
   

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/711827-Peace-on-earth-good-will---