*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/712469-Christmas
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#712469 added November 27, 2010 at 2:29pm
Restrictions: None
Christmas
    Now that the weeks of planning and coordinating a large family gathering for Thanksgiving is over in a flash, and all the attention to detail went unnoticed, and the hours of cleaning turned to disaster, it's time to start the next holiday. It's time to change the fall decor and the table linens, put away the good dishes for a few weeks, and to plan a new menu.There's also the shopping, the wrapping, the hanging of lights, placing a tree, coordinating everyone's schedule again, and getting the Christmas decorations out of the attic.

    My mother used to bring a lot of tension and need for perfection to Christmas. We've all tried to tone it down and be more mellow, but it's lost the excitement, too. Without her, it's just not as much fun. We still try to carry on the same traditions, to be together, to sing and clown around, and embarrass the younger generations with our antics. But it's not the same. It's not just that we miss her. We do, of course, but we miss the joy that she brought to the season.

      We participate in church activities, we give to charities, and donate food, we invite lonely people to come share with us in our meals and visits.We know the reason for the season, yet somehow the burden of budgets, work, health issues, and chores weigh us down. Sometimes, it feels like we're going through the motions without emotion.

      I'm going to try to get more exercise, lots of daylight, and make myself act joyful. Maybe the feelings will follow.

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/712469-Christmas