*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/715816-Jan-16---Revolver
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1595043
Entries made during Leger's 15 for 15 Contest.
#715816 added January 17, 2011 at 8:11pm
Restrictions: None
Jan 16 - Revolver
The thundering sound of hooves that came storming through the track to the back cattle, leading up the path to the ranch, brought Ginny's attention away from her mending to the window above the dining table. Her two younger brothers, Billy and Jack, rushed outside to see who this mysterious stranger was, ignoring her warning for them to stay inside. The hellions, the pair of them, always seem to give her grief. She sighed. No matter the grief they gave her, she still loved them.

As the sound grew closer, the more anxious she became, sending her sewing needle into the fatty pad of her thumb. As the red bloomed on the bruised finger's surface, Ginny ripped on a long strip from one of her mother's old rags and wrapped it tightly around her finger. It didn't make the pain go away much, or bring to her the identity of the mysterious rider. But if she heard the chatter coming outside her window correctly, there was only one person who could bring the squeals and innocent, joyous laughter out of her brothers... Pa.

+++

A giant of a man with a blond, slightly mangy beard and eyes the deepest shade of green outside a forest sat at the head of the long family table, speaking telling tall-tales about some of his wayward bounties. Everyone seemed to laugh, and so did Ginny, but she kept it to the slight widening of her smile. She couldn't help; she couldn't take her gaze from the revolver sitting atop her father's raggedy coat. Was he going back? How long is his stay this time? Will we ever be able to see him again?

"Cat got your tongue?"

The joke made her vision turn to face him. Light humor shone in the depths of his eyes, but when he saw her face, the smile fell from his lips.

"Will you be needing that revolver again soon, Pa?"

The whole table went quiet. First, for her boldness in asking the question. Then, they too wanted to know the answer.

Ginny watched her Pa sigh and run a rough hand over his face. Looking in her direction once more he tried to smile. "I'll be needing the gun, Ginny. Every house should have a weapon protecting."

Ginny ran his words over and over again her head before was satisfied she got what her father was trying to say. It made her hopeful and deep-bone scared all at the same time. "Pa..." Ginny twisted the napkin in her lap all into knots - like her stomach. "Will you be leaving us soon?"

"Not for quite a long time, if I can help it."

That was all Ginny needed. She flew out of her chair, knocking it down in the process, into the strong arms of her father. She could feel him smile against the top of her head. Finally, everything was right again in the world. At least, the world of Ginny.
© Copyright 2011 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/715816-Jan-16---Revolver