*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/715939-Jan-18---Dragon
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1595043
Entries made during Leger's 15 for 15 Contest.
#715939 added January 19, 2011 at 3:28pm
Restrictions: None
Jan 18 - Dragon
"It's another summons."

I did my best not to sigh aloud. "Hopefully, there will be a purpose to this gathering besides his majesty flaunting his ever-large ego."

My best friend, Judah, made the sign against evil over his scaly green chest. "You will push your luck one day, Mila."

"By the Old Ones, I hope so." My claws were itching to get back to the pages of my new book. Was it asking so much for a little privacy before we all went off on our private duties. Maybe if I were found insubordinate, and locked away in the Fiery Caves, maybe then I could get some well-deserved quiet time. Instead, I had to listen to our leader wax on and on about how important he was, strolling about the Giant Rock of Draco as if he were the best dragon known to dragonkin.

Unfortunately, I was wrong.

"These past few weeks, as you all know, the council has been searching for a mate for me," spoke our leader, King Ryuu of the Dragonkin. The obsidian of his scales reflected the moon, bathing him in an aura of white moonlight. He looked commanding, fierce, and dare it say it, kind of good looking. That didn't mean he still wasn't a jerk of the first order.

"The members of the council had observed all eligible females of our clan, and have handed me the name of the one they feel will best serve me and our kind."

"I bet it says something like a "broom" or "rock". Those are the only two who could put up with his vanity," I whispered to Judah. He does his best not to laugh, coughing into his fist.

"The female they have chosen as mate is - Mila Bronzewing."

There was a loud pause of silence, followed by a large roaring of applause. I felt some pat me on the shower or try to shake one of my wings, but all I could do was stand there with my jaw on the floor. A deep fire was building inside. Seriously. Of all the boneheaded moves to play, how could the possibly think -

"- that I could mate with someone who was in love with his own reflection!"

The cheering stopped suddenly, leaving only a deafen. Dear Old Ones! Had I said that out loud? Really?

The sea of dragons turned to the large dragon covered in obsidian scale as he drew himself up to his full stature. With the little grace I had left, I lifted my jaw off the ground and tried to look contrite. I stared into his black eyes of endless abyss, feeling how one might feel when falling down a well. It was official. I was dead - deep fried and crispy - by this time tomorrow. If only I hadn't opened my big mouth.

If I hadn't been watching, if I hadn't been staring deep into his gaze for those long moments while I was contemplating my doom, I might had missed his wink, bringing me my first spark of hope that this might not be so bad.
© Copyright 2011 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/715939-Jan-18---Dragon