*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/716861-Lifestyle-changes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Julie
Rated: · Book · Experience · #1741118
I challenged myself to 250 words a day, we'll see how that turns out. . .
#716861 added January 30, 2011 at 11:34pm
Restrictions: None
Lifestyle changes???
         Well obviously I haven't been writing every day.  Sigh.  That is a lifestyle change that is not going to come easy for me, although it will probably come easier than diet or exercise changes I'm sure.  And it will most certainly be easier than quitting smoking or cleaning more.          


Lifestyle changes have been taking up a lot of space in my brain lately because I've been spending a lot of time at doctors' offices. Doctors are very quick to point out how lifestyle changes like giving up alcohol and chocolate and caffeine and rich food can make me feel better.  While I appreciate their helpful suggestions and their time, this is a small town and I know for a fact that none of the docs I see are giving up any of those things. I'm a little annoyed that the best they can do for me is tell me to give up so many things I enjoy.  I know my PA, my chiropractor, and the guy who did my endoscopy are big fans of lattes, martinis, and a good red, so asking me to give all those things up seems rather mean. I highly doubt any of them would settle for no more coffee or martini dates with friends, or no more bottles of wine with dinner (its fun to know so many waitresses). And I'm well aware of the many benefits of exercise, and I've even been known to occasionally enjoy it once I actually drag myself out of bed or off the chair and to the gym, but I resent being told to exercise by someone who appears to have a BMI very similar to my own.           


I don't want a lifestyle change that involves no lifestyle . I've finally gotten to a point in life where I can AFFORD a bottle of wine with dinner or a second martini (just like my doctor!) and I want to enjoy that, not be limited by the fact that no one wants to figure out my stupid stomach. I know I've complained about the same problems for years and years and years, and that my psych medications make treating me more difficult than some other patients but I don't think that means I should just be written off as difficult and told to handle the problem myself with "lifestyle changes".  And I'm a little bit afraid that's what is happening to me. I want to ask my doctors all the time if that's what they'd tell their daughters or their mothers or their sisters to do in my situation?  Because I don't think they would.  I think if I was one of their relatives they'd do every test and try every medicine and treatment they could think of to make them comfortable and able to lead a life in the style they were accustomed to--not tell them to make lifestyle changes and get along as best they could.           






© Copyright 2011 Julie (UN: julie42a at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Julie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/716861-Lifestyle-changes