*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/717161-Really-Old-Stories
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#717161 added February 3, 2011 at 2:52pm
Restrictions: None
Really Old Stories
Now that I’m so into Kindle, I have been reading the old favorites. The one on the menu is The Happy Prince and Other Tales by Oscar Wilde, written in 1888. I must have forgotten how entertaining they were, being fable-like and all, since I am just as entertained as when I was a child and my mother read them to me. I remember way back when I bawled my eyes out over The Nightingale and the Rose, not understanding why the nightingale had to die. Even at this time, the story had a similar effect on me, and I am by no means a crybaby.

On hindsight, I am so glad I was introduced to the likes of Oscar Wilde and Rumi at a young age for they gave me a balanced view of the world, and not the one of “happily ever after” and Santa-and-Tooth-Fairy-will-like-you-whatever-you-do. Instead the morals like “don’t be selfish” and “love truly” were introduced underhandedly but firmly through tales of astute writers.

Oscar Wilde combines wit and joy with sadness, but for all the suffering, he shows the way to salvation, too, and with delightful and almost magical descriptions. For our time, some of the stories may not sound ‘politically correct’ for young children since they project the understanding of the world by the English in the nineteenth century, but they still would make wonderful stories to read to children, provided an adult checks them first.

ASIN: B0082ZICI2
Product Type: Kindle Store
Amazon's Price: Price N/A

© Copyright 2011 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/717161-Really-Old-Stories