*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/717449
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Book · Death · #1749675
My first real book.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#717449 added February 8, 2011 at 9:39pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2:
I get to the park about ten minutes later, and sit on the bench. It is dark, an cold. I hold myself for warmth with my duffel bag by my side. I shiver. I can hear owls screeching in the trees. At least they have feathers. I didn't even grab a sweatshirt. I remember that I have fifty dollars. I could go by a sweater. Or I could go get a blanket from the house. I get interrupted in thought by bushes rustling few feet away. I swiftly turn toward the noise. The leaves on the small bush shake. I grab my bag and slowly stand up. I back away without taking my eyes off the bush. I get back on the road and turn the other direction. My heart still races. I hold the bag in my right hand, and walk down the side of the road. It is dead tonight. There isn't even a car in sight. I speedily walk to the little market. When I walk in the cashier watches me closely as if I came in to steal. I go back to the candy isle and see coffee. I walk to the coffee, and fill up a medium cup of hot chocolate. I feel the steam on my hands and arms. It is warm. I fill the cup to the point of overflowing, and finally pull in away. I put the cup on the counter and reach up for a lid. Before I grab one I feel someones warm breath breathing down my neck. I turn to see my Grandma.
        "I knew you'd be here." She says. I stand shocked, and in silence. "Well, are you going to come home?"
        I studded, "Ho...home? It is no longer my home. I don't feel welcome any longer."
        "Kyra, you are always welcome," She smiles trying to lighten the mood.
        "That's not what you told that lady over the phone, Grandmother," I reply.
        "I didn't intend to hurt your feelings, you're going to come back," She says.
        "More lies?" I ask, but don't giver her time to answer, "You are a sad, sad, old lady, now aren't you?"
        She stares at me in awe. Like she doesn't know what I am talking about. "Kyra, I didn't mean...I am trying to...I only want what is best for you."
        "Quit kidding yourself! You want what your selfish heart wants!" I yell.
        She backs up a bit. "You are pissing my off young lady!"
        I laugh, "Pissing YOU off? Whatever. Leave me be."
        "You have no legal rights to be out here alone," She says and gets closer.
        "I have legal rights to refuse going with you," I say. I turn around to get a lid and finally put it on my cup. "Can you please leave now?" I ask trying to sound cheerful.
        "No, I won't. Until you come home with me!" She yells.
        The store cashier came up to us, "What's going on here?"
        My Grandma turns to the guy and says, "Nothing. We are just leaving."
`          She grabs my arm, and I resist. "No. I will not go with you."
        "Are we going to need the police?" He asks.
        "No, that is unnecessary," Grandma says like she is directing it toward me.
        The cashier looks at me and I say, "Yes, actually."
        "Kyra!?" Grandma yells at me.
        "Alright," The cashier says, "I'll go phone then now." He walks away and grabs his phone by his desk.
        "Kyra, we don't need the police involved," Grandma says softly.
        "Apparently we do, 'MARLYN," I say putting emphasis on her name.
        "Why did you call my by my name?" She ask in a frustrated tone.
        I pause, and then smirk, "Listen, MARLYN. I have decided that I, Kyra Anne Joules disown you MARLYN KAY JOULES."
        Her mouth drops open. "What!?" She yells, "YOU CAN NOT DO THAT TO ME!"
        I reply in a smart allelic way, "Oh, yes I can; and I just did."
        Before she could say anything back the cashier comes back to us, "They're on their way."
        Marilyn groans, "This is getting blown way out of proportion."
        "Oh, be quiet," I say.
        We all sit in silence until the police get here. Marilyn stares intensively towards me, and the cashier looks at his watch.
        "Hey," I say to the cashier. "Sorry to pull you into this."
        He looks at me, and smiles, "No problem. I am use to it."
        I laugh and extend a hand.  "My name is Kyra."
        He smiles, and shakes in gently. "Mine is Jake. Pleasure to make your aquantince."
        I smile. "Yours too."
        We sit next to him, and we start to talk.
        I ask, "How old are you"
        "Sixteen, what about you?" He says.
        "I am only fourteen, but my birthday is October, 26th." I try to sound optimistic about the age difference.
        He laughs, "You got about one more month."
        Marilyn buts into our conversation, "Will you two quit flirting right this second?!"
        I know I should say we aren't flirting, but that that would be a tad bit of a lie, so I say, "Be quiet."
        Jake chuckles, "Is this just a tough girl act, or are you always a rebel?"
        I lose my smile a little bit. "Huh?"
        "I was kidding," He smiles and bumps me tenderly with his arm.
        An even bigger smile than before forms on my face, "Oh."
        "So, after this whole thing is done and over with do you think I could call you?" He asks staring deep into my brown eyes.
        I get so lost, and then realize he needs an answer. "Uhhh, how about you give me yours. I don't know what's happening after all of this. I might now even be around."
        He gets a worried look. "Wait, why?"
        I pause. "Lots of things I am not quite sure you're ready to know."
        "Will I get to know on our first date?" He asks.
        "Did I just hear Jake ask me out?" I reply sarcastically.
        He laughs, "If it is a no, then I didn't. But if you want to, then yes I did."
        "I want to, but we will see after all of this mess is settled. So, you're number?" I say.
        He gives it to me, and then the police show up. I stand up and try to shake his hand, but he stands and hugs me. I feel so light headed. Jake lets go and smiles at me. I walk away, thinking I might not ever see this guy again. This sucks. Maybe I should reconsider and stay with Marilyn The two cops stand outside as Marilyn and I get to the chilly outdoors. Jake is back at the cash register. He looks so adorable in his little outfit, and little name tag.
        "Kyra, are you listening?" Marilyn asks me.
        I come back to reality and say, "Oh, yeah."
        The cop continues saying something, "Do you want to, young lady?"
        I give him a look and say, "Huh?"
        He sighs. "Do you want to go back to your grandmothers house?"
        I start to say no, but catch myself and stop. I stare attentively at him. He leans to his left side, and taps on his thigh.
        "I do not even want her back anymore," Marilyn finally says.
        "Good," I say silently. "I do not want to anyway."
        She shrugs, and then turns to the cop. "Can I just go home. You can do whatever you want with her. I was just going to send her to a hospital."
        My mouth drops open. "What?!"
        "Yeah, that is right," She replies. "You were going to go to a mental hospital."
        I am speechless, and the cop stares at the both of us. "Well, you may leave Marilyn, but I might call you down tomorrow to the station. For now, Kyra can stay in the orphanage downtown until things get situated. We need Kyra to go back to your house to get some material objects, if that is alright?"
        "Yes, I want it all gone. Including her," Marilyn says.
        He just walks to his car, and then motions me toward it. I look at Marilyn, and then remember she is no longer my confront blanket. I motion back to the squad car. I make my way to the open back door. I finally get there and inch in. The seats are weird, and covered in plastic. The bars in between the back and front seats makes me feel contained in a box. I suddenly feel a bit claustrophobic The cop closes the door, and walks back to Marilyn He stands and talks for moments. Marilyn goes to her silver Nissan, and the cop parts ways with her and comes back to his car. He gets into the front seat with a cruddy look on his face. I look down trying to hid the tears I felt. Only, I didn't know why I felt them.

        We arrived at the station; I still didn't look up. The cop opens the door to let me out. I put one foot on the ground, and finally looked up at him. He has a long red beard and a black hat on that says 'Stayton Police'. His hair isn't visible. His eyes are green, and it reminds me of Jake. I start to wonder about Jake. Is he thinking about me too? What is he doing right now? I bet he is at home by now. I put my other foot on the ground outside of the car and stand up. I face the police department. A chill goes down my spine, and I shiver.
        "Are you alright?" The police man asks.
        I gulp, "Yeah."
        He half smiles, and we start to walk toward the doors. I can hear the phones and hurry of peoples feet inside. My hands are shaking now. We approach the doors. The cop turns to me before we get in and looks at me.
        "My name is deputy Haroldson. I forgot to introduce myself, sorry," He says apologetically
        I nod, "I'm Kyra Joules."
        He smiles. "Yeah, I know that."
        He turns back to the building and then makes his way in. I follow as far as I can behind. I am not that happy to be here. All I find myself thinking about is Jake though. His green eyes, light brown hair, muscular body, and his flawless face. I realize if I wanted to ever see him again I would have to cooperate. Even if I usually wouldn't; I really want to see this guy again. Deputy Haroldson told me to take a seat, so I did. He goes into the back, and I wait about ten nerve-racking minutes before he finally comes back. He motions for me to follow him. I stand up, look around the front office, and then walk toward him. He takes me to a backroom that had no one in it.
        "Take a seat," He says. "Right there. I'll be there in a second."
        I sit down, and he goes back out. Again, I wait in complete nervousness. He finally comes back with a folder with papers in it, and sits down in his chair across from me behind the desk. He is silent as he reads.
        "Well," He began. "You have a clean record. I read here though, that you have a severe case of schizophrenia Is that correct?"
        I nod.
        "I see. Is that was your grandma was talking about the hospital?" He asks.
        I look down.
        "You need to tell me Kyra. Trust me, I am a cop. Things stay pretty confidential 'round here unless it is evidence in court," He says reassuringly.
        I nod. "I guess so. She never even told me about sending me there before," I talk quietly.
        He nods slowly "Hmm. So what exactly is going on?"
        I stay quiet, but then remember Jake. "My grand...I mean Marilyn was on the phone, and I overheard her conversation..."
        He interrupts me, "So you're an eavesdropper?"
        I don't say anything.
        "Hmm, continue on," He says.
        "She was talking to some person and saying how I am out of control, and she can not handle me anymore. I started to cry, and left to my room. I stayed there for a while thinking about..." I stop.
        "Think about," He questions.
        "Well, about...just stuff," I say trying to hid the fact I thought about suicide. "You know, in general?"
        He strokes his beard, "Mhm. Continue please."
        "After...thinking for a bit I needed fresh air, so I walked to the store," I say. "I needed to calm down a little bit before I wanted to confront Marilyn"
        "Fresh air?" He asks sarcastically.
        "Yeah, That is how I cope," I say.
        "Mhm, go on," He says.
        I breathe in, and slowly let it out. "She showed up at the store and made a scene. Jake came over from the cash register and..."
        He cuts me off again"Jake?" He asks.
        Oops. I shouldn't of brought him into it. "Yeah, just the cashier."
        He looks at me like he is reading the look on my face. "You know him?
        "No. He was just there," I defend.
        "Then how do you know his name," He asks.
        "He told me before you showed up," I reply.
        He nods. "Continue."
        "There isn't much more that happened. You showed up right after that," I say.
        "Hmm." He thinks. "Well, I don't know what to do at this point. I'll have to talk to your grandmother. Until then, she is bringing some stuff, and I take you over the the child care unit. You'll stay there for a few days while we figure things out."
        I nod. "Alright."

        I sat for hours before Marilyn finally shows up. She comes in with a big smile and an even bigger bag. I roll my eyes.
        "Here," She tosses the bag at me. "I really don't want you to come back. So I put all your other crap in the storage until you are permanently out."
        I roll my eyeballs again. "Uh huh, Marilyn"
        She smiles at the police men beside her, and walks off to Haroldson. Ten minutes later she leaves. I hope for good. I will have to live without Jake, because I am never going back to that hell-hole she calls her home. Haroldson comes back to me with the same old tired look.
        He sits in a chair. "Sit, please." I sit. "Marilyn has stated that she thinks you are a threat, and she wants you permanently removed from the house."
        I look at the floor. "Where do I go?" I whisper.
        He is silent, but only for a moment as if he is thinking. "You are going to the Child Care Center for a week, maybe two. We will figure it out from there."
        "Where is the Child Care place?" I ask as I look up at him.
        I think of Jake as Haroldson looks at me with his green eyes. They keep making me think about Jake. It is frustrating I know I barely know Jake, but he makes me feel...different. A good kind of different though. A wonderful kind. My thoughts end as Haroldson speaks. "It is in Salem. About twenty miles away I'll say."
        Jake is out of the picture I think. "That is far. Is there a closer one?"
        "I am afraid not, Kyra," He replies.
        I look down once again and sigh. "Alright. Are we going to head there tonight?"
        "Yup, we will get loaded up and leave in a few," He says as he stands.
        I stand too. "Kay then."
        We walk out into the cold night. It is a lot darker and later then before. I am only in pants and a t-shirt. I shiver.
        "Want a coat?" Haroldson asks.
        "No thank you," I reply.         
        He smiles. "Okay."
        He opens the passenger seat door, and motions for me to get in. So I do. He closes the door, and walks back to the driver side. He gets in, and we drive off. I look out the back window through the bars and watch the station get further and further. I sigh. Haroldson is quiet, but then clears his throat as if he wanted to say something. I wait. He doesn't say anything. So I look at him.
        "What's wrong?" I ask.
        He clears his throat again. "Oh, nothing dear. Nothing at all."
        I smile at him, and his green eyes light up again. Jake. Jake. Jake. The car is silent for moments before Haroldson says something.
        "You are a beautiful girl, Kyra," Haroldson says.
        "Thanks?" I say
        For moments I don't say anything else, and neither does he. Complete silence.
        He finally says, "Do you think I am good looking?"
        I look at him in confusion "What?"
        He smiles. "Here's your new home." We pull up to what looks like an extremely old hotel. Haroldson steps out of the car and pulls up his pants. I open my own door this time, and step out slowly. I clutch my suitcase in my right hand, and shut the door with my left. I stare at the building. I am so hungry I feel like the wind could blow me over. I hear an owl not far in the distance. I look to see where it is coming from. It is a forest. Only a few feet from the house. I look around, and actually the forest is the only thing I see around.
        "This place gives me the ebey-jeebies," I say.
        Haroldson laughs. "I'll come visit you." He gets back in his car and pulls away.
        I stand in the driveway in silence- Staring at the giant house in front of me. I take my first step towards the door and breathe in. I smell a foul scent of poor kids, and bad hygiene It almost makes me up-chuck. I walk closer and closer, until I am finally on the porch It squeaks. I take another deep breathe, and hold my breath. I knock.
        An old lady answers. "Well, hello there. Do we have another one?" She looks at my bag. "Well come in sweetie- What is your name?"
        I look at her. Her blue eyes send chills down my back. Her mouth, only half full of teeth, moves quickly as she talks. I look down and cringe. "Kyra."
        She smiles as I look back at her wrinkly face. "I am Sandra, how did you get here?"
        "A cop. Haroldson I think it was," I say.
        She smiles and black smile. "I see. How long do you think you'll be here. Wait, why are you here?"
        I look down again. I think about Jake. I miss him. I retrace his face in my mind over and over again. My mind wonders. I have to bring it back to reality and reply to this witch. "My grandma kicked my out. I am sure that I'll be gone shortly."
        "Fantastic," She says. "Would you like me to assign you a room?"
        "Sure." I reply.
        She puts her boney hand on my back, and leads me to her room on the first floor. I guess the inside is nicer than the outside. The smell got worse, but the inside looks like it was remodeled about twenty years ago. Not that bad. Sandra takes out papers from her drawer, and looks over them.
        "Looks like you're going to be sharing," She says with her finger pointing to something on the paper. "With Sarah."
        "Okay- What room?" I ask.
        She glances at the paper again. "22. The second floor."
        I nod and pick my suitcase back up. I turn to walk out the door, but I turn to find some girl standing in my way. She has black hair, brown eyes, and many piercing covering her face. She is very pretty, but she covers in in makeup; Black makeup. Her bangs hang in front of her face- long and dark. I can she one of her eyes staring at me. She hisses. My left foot moved backward toward Sandra who stands still.
        "What is SHE doing here?" The girl asks Sandra in a quiet voice.
        "She is your new roommate." Sandra says as she urges me toward the girl.
        I try to smile. "Hi, my name is Kyra. You must be Sarah," I say.
        Sarah turns around, and walks out of the room. I turn around to look at Sandra. She just pushes me along. We walk back through the house to a giant staircase that leads up to floor three. Sandra turns back to leave me, and I clench onto her.
        "Follow Sarah," I turn to see Sarah walking up the stairs, and then turn back to where Sandra was standing. She isn't there anymore. She vanished, Like it was just in thin air. I didn't hear the foot steps leave. Where did she go. I look left, and then right. I gulp. Weird. I turn back to look at Sarah, who also, vanished. I look around me to see nothing, but emptiness I face the stairs. I remember, room twenty-two. So, I begin my journey up the staircase.
© Copyright 2011 Mariah Shaye (UN: mariah_shaye at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mariah Shaye has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/717449