*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/718930-Nothing-a-Swift-Kick-to-the-Head-Wont-Fix
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1523686
Nothing like a fortune cookie to make a year intriguing.
#718930 added March 3, 2011 at 9:32pm
Restrictions: None
Nothing a Swift Kick to the Head Won't Fix
“Sometimes you wake up.
Sometimes the fall kills you.
And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.”
- Neil Gaiman, Todd Faber Sandman
Currently listening to: "Bajo La Piel" - Robi Rosa
Currently reading: "Wild Ride" - Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer



It is official. I missed my first class today. There was a very valid reason - I have the plague. Not the actual plague, but a plague like illness that is inwardly kicking my ass up the mountain and down the hill. Apparently, I look like the face of death whatever that may look like. My roommate takes one glance at me each morning and can't hide the grimace fast enough. For the past week the first question I get is, "Maybe you should go back to bed for a while?" The advice has been taken as my fever is making me delusional and wavy and the mascot for death.

Oh, and I am contagious.

For a while, as I spend my afternoons staring up at the horrendous popcorn ceiling in my bedroom, I came up with a plan: a swift kick to the head. My mother used to make the joke that my older brothers and I needed a swift kick to the head in order to be more efficient, obedient children. The kick never happened, but there was always this gleam in her eye that made us all frightful. Maybe, just maybe, it is time to try this theory out. Funny enough I can't get anyone to help me out. This seems unfair, but I can see where the legal implications could be a problem. Jail time for an experiment does seem a little frivolous... Still, where's the friendship?

Another popcorn ceiling revelation came around one o'clock on Tuesday when I realized I didn't get any of my writing goals finished for February. This isn't a first but it definitely isn't something I feel pretty. Well, besides the pledge. Writing, besides my family and duty, is the thing I think about most. Story ideas, massive amounts of files on my hard drive (nicknamed "007" - long story), napkins with character quotes, notebook pages filled with nonsense. I can no longer deny I have a writer's mentality. Yet, to be a writer you kinda have to write. Besides class assignments, I have done none of these. This will change.

So I went trolling on WDC and found two contests I'm going to enter this month. Seriously. Then, I went searching the Net and found a couple of small publishing firms that are looking for anthology submissions. Worth a try. I'd would rather crash and burn, then watch from the sideline to keep asking myself "What if?" That was sucky analogy but you get what I mean.

I'm going to lay down now because there are things on the ceiling that shouldn't be. Hope your week is going better than mine. *Sick*

© Copyright 2011 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/718930-Nothing-a-Swift-Kick-to-the-Head-Wont-Fix