*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/719508-How-did-it-hook-me
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1587540
Not hardcore enough to be ultra nerdy, but it's not that shallow, either.
#719508 added March 9, 2011 at 11:58pm
Restrictions: None
How did it hook me?
Yes, another entry about Doctor Who. Hey, I like to juggle a few regular topics! *Smile* While I have not been very good about watching (although I swear I will get crackin' on it soon), I have kind of a soft spot for Season 3. I feel kind of funny saying that because reactions to said season are ALL over the place. For me, season 3 is what got me into it. The strangest part? I was intrigued by two episodes generally not liked by the fans I encounter online. Those would be "Daleks in Manhattan" and "Evolution of the Daleks".

I actually saw "Evolution" first. When I was living in Boynton Beach, I stayed with a family friend who is a sci-fi nut. She was watching "Evolution", and I happened to walk by the TV. Curious, I sat down and found myself intrigued. The Doctor was nice eye candy, for sure, but I was more intrigued by Martha and the fact that she didn't take shit lying down. Now I'm not one who particular seeks out strong female characters, but seeing one without actively looking was a nice surprise. After that, I started watching the show more regularly and got caught up on past episodes thanks to YouTube. Even though I enjoyed all of the eps (except "The Sound of Drums", which I have yet to see), I still feel a sense of warmth whenever I see these two. Sure, some of the science may be waved off, and some elements are a little over the top. However, between a dark story and a lot of interplay between strong characters on all stops on the protagonist-antagonist spectrum, I enjoyed them. Those qualities could explain why I liked the one season one episode I saw not long after that (but don't remember the title of; Jack Harkness was in it, though). That episode was dark and almost surreal, a similar tone, if you will. And not too long ago, I realized that Andrew Garfield had a pretty significant role in both eps. It makes me wish I'd been paying a little bit better attention then. *Bigsmile* Well, it makes rewatching that much more fun, but yes, it also makes it harder to move onto the other episodes/seasons. Anyone wanna kick my ass in that direction? Please and thanks.


© Copyright 2011 Elisa the Bunny Stik (UN: soledad_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elisa the Bunny Stik has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/719508-How-did-it-hook-me