*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/721655-Reaching-for-a-French-Fry
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#721655 added April 6, 2011 at 2:59pm
Restrictions: None
Reaching for a French Fry
Reaching for a French Fry.

I’m always amazed by our little Township on Election Day. I worked the polls yesterday and there was a huge race for a seat on the Wisconsin State Supreme Court. The outcome will decide whether the Democrats or Republicans have a majority. Now the point is not the position of the party I support but rather that the Township seldom errs in predicting who the winner will be….Last night’s count was no exception. The race was painted as a proxy contest for Governor Walker and if this was true it was a vote of support for the Republicans. The nation saw that what transpired in Madison was not the view of the majorty.

It was a very close race….I think the difference was the democratic lawmakers leaving the state, union excesses and the unwillingness by the Teachers to pay into their health care plan. The vote was close and when it is, the excesses of one side vs.the other come into play.

Hey, I have friends in both parties, in unions and out and an absolute respect for the teaching profession, and often I cross over. In this case however, I think the Democrats went too far and shot themselves in the foot. If they don’t wake up to the mood in the Country to control spending they are going to get badly beaten in the next presidential election. The people want the Government to get spending under control and it isn’t happening.

I wonder what it’s going to take to send the message to our State and National Governments? To say the issue is over the unions right to collective bargain is a bunch of rhetorical malarkey. It is my view that unions, once necessary to protect the worker, are now largely responsible for sending jobs overseas and the more heated this struggle becomes the more jobs will be lost. Unions are depending now on the State and National Governments to keep them solvent and it looks to be a move of extreme desperation. They have already all but insured that their children will not have the jobs they currently enjoy and like a political leader that will go unnamed, blame everybody but themselves.

It’s a darn shame what is happening….we are strangling the goose that laid the golden egg and the base of citizens that pay taxes is diminishing every day. People no longer want to buy property not because of the cost but the taxes which in my case went up $800 last year…General Electric didn't pay a dime. If the system shuts down under the sheer weight of its own inertia….like the Soviet Union did….there isn’t going to anything left for anyone. And we won't have anyone to blame but ourselves. Oh and by the way....those who have struggled all their lives to look out for their interests will be much better postured for what follows than those who haven't. My caution to the voters is....don't drop your hamburger reaching for a french fry.


© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/721655-Reaching-for-a-French-Fry