*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/722460-Strange-EncounterJan-22-A-tiger-lives-with-men
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Contest Entry · #1768582
My contest entries for Legerdemain's 15 for 15, fiction and poetry.
#722460 added April 18, 2011 at 12:21am
Restrictions: None
Strange Encounter:Jan-22, A tiger lives with men.
Strange Encounter

Namdev, and his forest guard, saw something out of the world, when they were on routine rounds in the Nalamalai forest. It was miraculous.

A beautiful Bengal tiger of about three meters in length, and weighing about two hundred kilograms, with its black stripes, and white and golden yellow skin gleaming in the sun, was relaxing on the track, behind a Buddhist monastery. A monk was resting in the tiger’s arms. He was half asleep, with a hand underneath his head. He lay cushioned on the animal’s big, fluffy limb. A smile played on his bespectacled face, as though dreaming of vistas of supreme beauty.

Namdev did not know how to go past the man and beast, who were in the pose of ideal companionship. Tigers were not a strange sight in those parts. Yet, this was extraordinary. He looked at the wonderful scene for a while, and moved back to make a detour.

The next day, out of curiosity to know the details of the uncommon occurrence, he paid a visit to the monastery.

Prayers and meditation were in progress. He too chanted “Aum” the mantra of peace, and health, with the congregation.

Later,

“ What can we do for you?”
Namdev looked up and saw the tranquil face of a monk, the rob end thrown across his left shoulder.
“ Sorry for troubling you Venerable Sir!”  He recounted, the scene from the day before.

“Oh that!” smiled the mendicant.
“The tiger cub that walked into the monastery a few years ago, was just a half-meter in length.” He continued.
“He just stayed with us, ate what we fed and slept where we showed him. We named him Sangatara, after a great monk who traveled widely spreading peace.
By virtue of living with us, he naturally metamorphosed into a peaceful animal, rather than a wild one.”

The big beast walked in, peered at them, growled a bit, behaving like a pet dog or a cat.

Wonders will never cease, thought Namdev, as he took his leave.

Day's Winner
© Copyright 2011 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/722460-Strange-EncounterJan-22-A-tiger-lives-with-men