*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723662-Happy-Mothers-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#723662 added May 8, 2011 at 9:36pm
Restrictions: None
Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day,

I hate kidney stones. They kick my butt. Twice a year I wind up at my urologist and he gets ready to go in and get one only to have it pass at the last minute. I feel like an inmate on death row who gets a reprieve. What’s the purpose of going to the doctor I reason since I always seem to be able to pass them eventually?

Anyway when they pass from the kidney to the bladder there is a little opening the jagged little rascals have to shoulder through and gee willikers does that ever smart. The best thing I can take is Motrin….that stuff works better on my system than any narcotic. Anyway last night was one of those nights but today I feel much better.

At breakfast I talked to my buddy Hobo. He is a fellow car builder but he is much better at it than I am. When I explain some of my techniques he just shakes his head. He sold me some fenders and a hood for a forty Ford and one fell out of the back of my pick-up on the way home. It happened just down the road from his shop and another customer picked it up and returned it. Wouldn’t you know of the four (4) I bought it was the only one I really needed.

So today I worked on my Studebaker and one of the fenders does not line up with the right rear wheel. I think the original S-10 had an accident and the frame is bent…I will take it to the frame guru next week. I found a glass guy who will come out and fix the windows. That will be a big improvement.

Linda will be flying in on Wednesday night and It will be good to see her again. I know she is about played out by all that happened with her Dads heart surgery. Luckily he seems to have taken it well and hopefully it is one of those crisis that will get them to look to the future.

I was going to write about resonance so let me record the ideas so I don’t forget them.

Idea #1: Beck talked about the days prior to TV when there were radio dramas like Fibber McGee and Molly, Dragnet, Gunsmoke, the shadow and all those great programs. In a sense Shakespeare started all that with his tickets that enabled holders to listen only from the courtyard of the Globe theater. Get the connection….Radio…Listening in the Courtyard.

Idea: This gets us to the resonance thing. Yesterday I talked about Shakespheres use of it in his monologues and dialogues too. I think I will ask the students to have a conversation with their significant other and have that other explain something they do well. Then copy what is being said as completely as possible…..Having the reciter of the tale have to slow a bit might alter their tale telling speech pattern but probably not so much as to make a difference.

Then take the sentences and stack them one on top of the other and begin to look for a rhythm or beat to the speech patterns. People actually do have these unique resonances in the way they speak….If the writer can capture these the reader will pick up on it and know they are listening to the real deal and not the writer simply talking to themselves.

So I caught the ideas by the coat tails and will try and pick up on them down the road when I am in need of an idea to write about. Happy mother’s day all you ladies and on behalf of men everywhere I salute you. What you have to put up with is much worse than kidney stones.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723662-Happy-Mothers-Day