*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/724402-Final-words-or-editing-epitaphs
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#724402 added May 21, 2011 at 12:19pm
Restrictions: None
Final words, or editing epitaphs
I often get little words of wisdom popping phrase-like and mostly-formed into my head. The first interpretation does not always remain by the time I get to paper or computer screen.

This one progressed from a random thought; fueled by local media hoopla over a prediction of Judgment Day.

I could not fit it as the title for the entry, although I knew it could be simplified. And once I'd workit into three different versions, I realized each had lost the feeling behind my original intention. The impact to a reader, I felt differed for each, and yet I wasn't sure my original provided the best message or impact -- thus one edits.

But I have to wonder, was my first thought (which did not make my final list of three) meant only for me to reflect on then? And is this the true hang-up most authors have? Those who allow the inner critic and fast-to-act editor to "improve upon" before the idea is internalized first for the author? Or is that even possible without the author becoming the reader (and re-reader many times over).

Here are the three versions in the order that I revised. For the second one, I was glad to have accomplished succinctness, but still preferred to hang "alone" on the end rather than the starting hook; hence the third revision.

For endings, be with someone who will speak highly of you....even more important, if you feel alone.

If alone, in The End, be with someone who will speak highly of you.

Should today be proclaimed the end, choose to be with one who will speak highly of you, and let that one be yourself.

Which is best?

Best line from Tin Man (2007)
"You know you really should do something about that BITTER cynicism of yours Cain."

Cain:
"Why? Someones gotta keep your wide eyed optimism in check."
DDOSF gift courtesy of Highwind

© Copyright 2011 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/724402-Final-words-or-editing-epitaphs