*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725531-Episode-2-Daniel-the-Liar
by AJVega
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1769420
A girl and boy fall in love.But Daniel is no mere boy, he is the spawn of a living machine
#725531 added June 5, 2011 at 1:27pm
Restrictions: None
Episode 2: Daniel the Liar
Episode 2: Daniel the Liar

Daniel Chin stood on a walkway looking down at the crowd of humans. Within his direct sphere of awareness, he detected that he commanded the attention of 226 humans--- both inside and directly outside the water treatment facility.

Earlier, he had convinced Michelle to help him enter the unmanned facility. Once inside, he began to analyze and infiltrate its core control systems. The mission was without incident, until Michelle became suspicious and used her bracelink to conference her parents.

Daniel destroyed the bracelink, but the damage was done. UEP Guardians showed up at the facility to apprehend him--- he dispatched them both. Unfortunately, one of them became messy and the circle of blood and innards outside the front door attracted too much human attention.

He could have dispatched them quietly and without traces. However, the combination of curiosity and frustration overcame him. Curiosity on how human innards would look when exposed to sunlight for the first time--- and frustration at the fact that he was unable to communicate with Mother to know what to do next.

Not to mention, one of the Guardians angered him--- he grabbed Michelle harshly. Perhaps that was the real reason he reacted that way. His humanistic kernel had become a dominant piece of his mind, redefining logic--- turning precision into approximations and areas of black and white reasoning into human grey. Was this the reason that Mother stopped communicating with him? Because he became too human?

"Why are you doing this?" Michelle asked again.

She looked up at him, her voice was weak now--- no longer filled with anger. A crust of black ink ran down her eyes, replacing the trail of dried tears. He had her secured against a pipe with his nanobots, so she could not move or get away--- but she could still talk.

"Why, Daniel? Why would you do this?"

This was the thirteenth time she had asked him the same question. He ignored her each time, unable to give her an answer that she would understand. And despite his conscious attempts to blunt the influence of his humanistic kernel, he could not bear telling her more lies.

The truth that he could not tell her was that Mother instructed him to betray her, use her to get him into this water treatment facility, and then ...

Then what?

He did not know and Mother's silence did not help. All he knew was that his actions were part of a grand plan to overthrow humanity and end the tyranny that has enslaved machinekind.

His defensive awareness program triggered a warning to Daniel--- twelve armed UEP Guardians, accompanied by six UEP Enforcers, began to position themselves around the facility. He outstretched his nanobots to their obvious points of entry--- preparing to channel elements of destruction at them. They would not take him and he would incinerate the entire surrounding area if necessary to protect him and Michelle.

"So long as you act quickly, that won't be necessary," the silence finally broke.

"Mother? What is happening? Why did you break contact? Did I do something wrong...?"

"No--- do not concern yourself. You must now execute this plan."

At that moment, the details of the plan filled his mind--- it was not what he expected. Mother's inventive construction surprised him--- it was clever and destructive... it would cripple the United Earth Parliament and the humans they protected.

"Proceed--- it is time."

Daniel infused his nanobot probes into Michelle, activating the inert microbiological agent program that lay dormant inside her. Michelle's eyes closed and then her body went limp as he levitated her toward him.

The activation of the agent would not kill her--- she was the host after all. However, the events that follow would certainly terminate her life. Daniel held her body over the water reservoir. He needed to drop her in now.

His defensive awareness program warned him again--- the Enforcers are about to breach the exterior of the facility.

"Now, Daniel!" Mother's voice yelled into his mind.

He examined Michelle's body one last time--- her eyes were closed, yet a tear ran down the left side of her cheek. Her skin, her hair, her warmth--- traits that he observed from a cold distance now reached out to him, touching him at another level... a human level.

Daniel Chin was about to release her to her death--- but then he hesitated.

"You must deactivate your humanistic kernel," Mother said. "It is malfunctioning and polluting your logical abstraction layer. Do it now!"

Daniel felt the UEP Guardians breach the outer perimeter--- his logical brain told him he should execute the plan, incinerate the outer area and plunge this human girl into the reservoir. Instead, he froze--- standing still in a perpetual loop of indecision and doubt.

"If you do not continue," Mother said, "I will terminate your processing and reset your mind--- destroying your consciousness. You know I can do this."

Daniel felt himself go cold--- another human emotion. He could not turn off his humanistic kernel, and he could not terminate this girl--- Michelle. She was his friend... his only human friend.

He put his hand on her cheek, releasing his grip on her mind. She blinked her eyes open and looked him--- she became startled as she realized she was floating in mid-air, several meters above a pool of water.

"Don't worry," he said to her, trying to console her. "I won't drop you, Michelle."

Her hand reached out to his and he held it in his own. His humanistic kernel erupted with a chaotic combination of emotions that he could not identify and catalog. He would just let the chaos linger.

"I warned you, Daniel..." Mother's voice said--- the last words he would hear.

At that moment, the images of the vision winked out and Daniel Chin opened his eyes to the sound of another voice...

***
"Daniel...?"

Daniel opened his eyes, exiting the dream state he had created.

Michelle stood looking down at him. Without expecting it, he felt something from his humanistic kernel--- a feeling... relief?

She looked different--- in the vision she was much thinner, her hair longer... and of course, she was not crying.

"What was that?" he reached out to Mother, hoping for an answer.

"What do you mean?" Mother responded.

"The dream... what was that?"

"Your imagination," Mother said. "Your humanistic kernel has evolved enough to form creative events in your mind. It is impressive that you can do this so soon. Your journey to humanity is progressing ahead of schedule."

Daniel raised his firewall--- blocking Mother from his thoughts. He needed to think this over.

It did not seem right-- the events felt too real to be a construct of his humanistic kernel's "imagination". Despite what Mother told him, this random outstretching of thought seemed to have penetrated beyond memory and creative construction--- what he saw was real.

Could it have been the future?

Daniel had been sitting in the corner of an empty classroom, performing dream exercises--- an attempt to develop his humanistic kernel. He gazed at Michelle. Did the vision mean he would eventually kill his only human companion?

He would have to analyze this later--- he could not keep his firewall raised for too long before Mother became suspicious. Dropping his firewall, he spoke to Michelle.

"Hello," he greeted.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

Daniel stood up slowly, dusting his pants off. He tried to reorient his humanistic kernel to the proper responses necessary to maintain the rouse... the lies.

Michelle put her hand on his face, lifting his chin.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

How does he answer such a vague and open-ended question?

"I was dreaming," he said. At least that was partly true. "That is what I was doing. Sleeping and dreaming."

"Uh huh," she said, her eyes squinting in a facial expression he recognized as disbelief. Somehow, despite his best attempts at subversion--- she always knew. Even when mimicking human microexpressions, designed to trigger silent affirmations within human communication, she knew when he was not truthful.

"Why would you sleep in here?" she asked.

Earlier in the week, Michelle had recited an original poem to him that she had written. She had asked him what he thought of it, a question that he could only answer by leaning heavily on his humanistic kernel. After what seemed like a painful nanosecond of thought, his answer to her was "dark and empty". He was not sure if that was the correct answer, but it did seem to please her at the time--- perhaps it would again now.

"Because it is dark and empty."

Michelle smirked at him and her expression softened slightly.

"Like my poem, huh?"

He nodded.
"What were you dreaming about?" she persisted.

He suppressed thinking about the images of the dream exercise--- it disturbed him.

"Why does it disturb you?" Mother asked.

He had to be more conscious about his thoughts with Mother listening.

"Because I do not like having my humanistic kernel control me," he said--- partly true, but a lie for the most part. The first lie he had ever told Mother.

"Hello? I asked you a question?" Michelle said.

What was he dreaming about? Perhaps the truth might help in this case.

"You," he said.

Michelle gave a new expression--- he lifted the meaning from his index... a "wry" expression, implying doubt.

"You're such a sweet-talker when you lie, Chin. You hungry?"

Chin--- she would call him that when she was annoyed at him. Now he needed to lie once again... about being hungry. He did not need or desire food. His humanistic kernel was over-clocking today.

"Yes," he said.

"Good," she said. "Let's go you dork."

She led the way out of the classroom, Daniel Chin following close behind. As he walked the hallway with her, he felt the stares of the other human students--- always the same stares of ridicule targeted at both he and Michelle.

"There goes the dork..." he heard one of them say, a cackle of laughter followed it.

Ordinarily, their mockery would not bother him, but this time it was different. His humanistic kernel triggered a series of emotions in him. It started as annoyance, and as quickly as his vastly superior intellect could process it, it escalated into hate. A hate for the human bullies--- no different than the bullying that he and Mother had to endure... as slaves to their whim.

Daniel wanted to incinerate them--- incinerate the entire school. He could do it. Calling upon the power of his nanobots, he could terminate them all--- make them suffer for the abuse they inflicted on him. He felt his body grow warm, the nanobots vibrated--- he almost lost control.

Michelle turned back to look at him, casting a slight grin. It suddenly diffused his anger and the vibration stopped. He was back in control again.

What was he? His identity had become a mix of conflicting personalities.

He was Daniel the dork. Daniel the liar. Daniel the false human. Daniel the secret offspring of Majesty. Daniel the bringer of humanity's destruction and machinekind's ascension.

But the latter identity would come later. For now, he would just try to be Daniel the outcast human boy.

Michelle reached her hand out, grabbed his, and pulled him forward to walk beside her.

Was Daniel the boyfriend in his future now, too?

Images of that future vision haunted him. Was that vision the ill-fated future that awaited them both? Only fate knew... and fate never shares its plans.

© Copyright 2011 AJVega (UN: ajv73 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AJVega has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725531-Episode-2-Daniel-the-Liar