*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725869
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Young Adult · #1783644
Collection of past monthly newsletters highlighting activities and groups for teen writers
#725869 added June 9, 2011 at 9:24am
Restrictions: None
TWIST Newsletter ~ 5/10/2011
[The following is the most recent TWIST newsletter, sent to the group on 5/10/2011. To receive TWIST newsletters, contact NickiD89 today!]



Banner for TWIST Emails




[TWIST! Thoughts of the Day]


Hello TWIST-ers!

I once read that it takes a writer ten years of work to learn to write. I scoffed at that. If your creative mind is brimming with story ideas and you have natural word-smithing talent, I reasoned, what's there to learn?

Three years and approaching 100 short stories later, I am humbly aware of how much I still have to learn.

Case in point: What's the best way for me to approach a new story?

The first couple stories I penned were by the seat of my pants. I had ideas and I went with them. As if by magic the beginnings, middles and endings emerged as cohesive tales with rich exposition and suspenseful climaxes.

A funny thing happened as I delved deeper into the craft. The magic started to fade. Not in the end result, but in the process. Was I thinking too hard? Did trying to finesse the story dampen the creative kindling? I didn't have any answers. All I knew was the honeymoon phase was over. And the real work began.

I've attempted outlining my stories with various tried-and-true methods touted by published, award-winning authors. I've tried working a story out from start to finish in my head before sitting down and banging it out. Once, I began with the ending and worked my way back to the beginning. (Not my favorite experience.) I prefer working at a snail's pace and editing as I go, but I have tried writing a fast draft and then spending weeks editing paragraph by paragraph, sentence by sentence.

And here I am, with a new story idea ready to go, stuck because I don't know how to approach it.

Then last night, I had an a-HA moment during Curriculum Night at my son's middle school. We were in a session with the Language Arts teacher who was talking about her approach to teaching creative writing. Her students outline their idea, sketch the scene, write the first draft, then edit and revise until it's finished. Writing 101, right? So why the a-HA moment?

This new story is stalled because although the basics are worked out in my mind, I haven't decided the order of events. Open with a scene on the balcony or in front of the computer? Climactic moment happens in the apartment or out on the street? Is the character involved in the twist a sideline character, or will she join the others center stage?

If I sketch the scene first, screenplay style, I'll have the freedom of auditioning different scenarios. Sort of like drawing thumbnail sketches, before the brush ever strokes canvas.

It's worth a shot. Who knows, maybe I'll learn this is the method that works best for me.

Or, maybe the real lesson is every project calls for its own process. A different method for every madness. And hey, if the opening statement holds truth, I still have seven years to figure it out. *Wink*


What about you? Do you approach every new story in the same way? Or do you find your process changes with every project?



*Right* Every month I promote highlighted contests, activities, groups, forums and fundraisers geared to support teen writers. Please read through them and click the links *Smile*



~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~




*Star*Divider Banner*Star*




[Contest For Teen Writers]

FORUM
DreamTime Dragon's Poem Contest  (E)
A Poetry contest with a dragon prompt. Round 16. Closed til Next time!
#1768488 by eyestar~*


Hurry! Round closes May 16th! For this round your prompt is: Create an ACROSTIC form of POEM using ONE of these words: DRAGON or DRAGONS. [For all you Dragon Teens out there who would like to participate, please do. Dreamtime says that if we get 5 teens (14-18) we will judge these in a separate category just for you! Please put "Dragon Teen Entry" in the title box of the forum if you want to be known for that category. The prizes will be the same!]


~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~




[Forums For Teen Writers]

Calling All Teens  (13+)
A place for the younger 'teen' writers to hang out, share views, make friends etc
#1195813 by Word smith says I'm Back


”I'm Word smith, a teenager just like you . I wanted to make a place where all of us could hang out together and have our own discussions, make new pen pals and the sort.” ~ Word smith says I'm Back


~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1220051 by Not Available.


”This forum is open for discussion and recommendations of children's and teen's chapter books. This is my favorite genre, so I'll have lots of suggestions. Please post your book recommendation by title only in the topic window. This is also open to adults!” ! Cubby


~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~




[Group For Teen Writers]


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#619884 by Not Available.


“Here is a group for teenagers only. If you like to write and share what you write with other teenagers (12 - 19), you are at the right place. Have something to say and no one listening? Join this group and speak your mind.” Write-fully Loti


~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~




[Polls and a Quiz]


 How Old Are You?  (ASR)
I want to learn which main age of people are on writing.com.
#297982 by Sakura91045


 Character Name (teen book)  (E)
Trying to find the right name for a new character.
#1293567 by Dawn Embers


 Classic Japanese-style Cartoons  (E)
Old cartoons like Transformers & Thundercats. Are they still cool?
#199311 by Stallion


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1166258 by Not Available.


~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~



[TWIST! Announcements!]

*Right* This is the third TWIST newsletter in a row, and it’s been a little quiet in our group. So, anyone who answers the question(s) about your personal writing process, found at the bottom of my opening remarks, either in an email to me (NickiD89 ) or in a post in our group forum "TWISTers Message Board, will receive a Merit Badge! Also, anyone who engages another in conversation in that forum will receive a Merit Badge. Let’s get a discussion started!


Feel free to visit our Group Forum!! This is the place you can go to meet other TWIST! members and to talk about what you are doing to maximize your WDC experience. Please stop by and introduce yourself today!

 TWISTers Message Board  (E)
Have something for the TWIST emails? Want to meet other TWISTers? Post a message today!
#1619412 by NickiD89



~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~




If you have an item you would like promoted in an upcoming TWIST! email, please fill out this survey *Smile*

 TWIST Email Item Submission Form  (E)
Have a contest, activity, group or fundraiser you want promoted? Fill in survey today!
#1619418 by NickiD89



~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~ *Bullet* ~





Thank you so much for your attention! If you have any suggestions for how I can improve these monthly newsletters, let me know. The next email will go out in about three weeks time. Until then, I hope you check out the activities listed here! See you next time!!


Keep *Smile*ing!
~Nicki~
© Copyright 2011 NickiD89 (UN: heftynicki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NickiD89 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725869