*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/726047-Starting-from-Scratch
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1782533
This is my writing spot where I work and develop WiPs that I am currently working on
#726047 added June 11, 2011 at 8:40pm
Restrictions: None
Starting from Scratch
It is every writer's worst nightmare: you are working on a piece and then you realize you have to take it apart and start all over. You have already invested a considerable amount of time in it and the thought of scrapping it just kills you. What do you do? Well, besides cry and have a total nervous break down!

You embrace it and go with it. I have been working on a short story for a contest for over a month. I based my story on a local legend in my area and after doing some digging (which I had been meaning to do for some time) I realized that I have to make some major changes to my story. At first I was a little beside myself, did I really want to go back and change it, or did I want to keep it as it was. Since it is fiction it probably doesn't matter if I change or not. But what I was questioning was the integrity of the piece. Because I like to use history as a backdrop for my work, I wanted to keep this little story as close to the local legend as possible. Which would mean I would be going back and changing almost all of it. So, after much thought I have decided that I am going to go back and change the story. Since it is only a short story I won't have too much to cut and change. And it won't change the plot of the story too much. It will alter it, but I will still have my main characters and the original idea behind it.

So, lesson learned: do research before you start to plot your story if you are using a local legend. It will avoid the dreaded starting from scratch disease!

© Copyright 2011 Sam Poe (UN: sam.poe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sam Poe has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/726047-Starting-from-Scratch