*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/726158-Attempts-at-Being-Normal
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1523686
Nothing like a fortune cookie to make a year intriguing.
#726158 added June 15, 2011 at 9:28am
Restrictions: None
Attempts at Being Normal
"Now that the truth
is just a rule
that you can bend.
You crack the whip,
shape shift and trick
the past again.
"
~Metric
Currently listening to: "Black Sheep" - The Clash at Demonhead
Currently reading: "Stardust" - Neil Gaiman

So I've taken a different approach to mourning - I'm trying to attempt something as close to normal as possible. I took the train up to Los Angeles (something that keeps persisting over the past few months) and met my dad before heading over to my grandparents house. It was weird stepping in the door again after only being gone a week. In truth, I kept looking for my grandfather to arrive. That feeling is still somewhat with me.

My grandmother hasn't been eating much. She has a very small of frame now, and we're trying to get her back up past the hundred pound mark. When my dad suggested food, she said she wanted a hamburger. This was met with glee and we hurried out before she might change her mind. There was a parade this past weekend, which we only found out about when we couldn't take Santa Monica Blvd. and Sunset was traffic hell. In the end it was kind of funny. An "only in LA" kind of moment. My grandmother ate her burger - 3/4 of it - it was a good afternoon.

To continue on this theme, I bought two tickets to see Neil Gaiman speak at the Saban Theater on the 28th. A little birthday present to myself. A small fear I have is that I will become some kind of fangirl, go completely speechless between high-pitch giggles, and somehow sneak a sign under my coat that declares my love and devotion. That would be bad...right?

Also watched Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Oh dear Gods, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Boston scored four goals in five minutes in the first period. I keep questioning if Vancouver was distracted by something shiny on the ice or had they mentally already won the game and didn't feel the need to should up. I screamed at the television and freaked out my neighbors. I would apologize if I didn't think it would happen again, but somehow I really doubt that. Game 7 is the make it or break it game. There will be shouting.

Attempts at being normal...an odd experience indeed.

© Copyright 2011 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/726158-Attempts-at-Being-Normal