*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/726564-Thinking-of-Dads-Today
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1592786
A place for writing off-the-cuff
#726564 added June 20, 2011 at 9:21am
Restrictions: None
Thinking of Dads Today
My own father has many strengths, but for whatever reason we've butted heads for about forty-two of the forty-four years we've known each other. He's taught me a lot, but usually by demonstrating in his own speech and actions how not to behave. I thank him for that. Many, many characters I write are heavily based on him, me, and our experiences together. And for the most part, we get along now. We've been around the block enough times to know what subjects to stay away from and what buttons must only be pushed in rare and extreme circumstances.

My husband is a fabulous father to our two children. They love him a lot, and that makes me so happy. It stops up some of the holes punched in my heart by my father.

On Father's Day, I celebrate my husband and the fathers out there that find a healthy balance in rearing children, that teach their children boundaries without crushing their spirits. Dads that are stern while still conveying the love they have in their hearts, and want only for their children to soar, even if their children soar higher than they have managed to fly.

For all of you dads out there who love, teach, protect and mentor, I salute you!

© Copyright 2011 NickiD89 (UN: heftynicki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NickiD89 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/726564-Thinking-of-Dads-Today