*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/727022-New-Direction
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#727022 added June 25, 2011 at 9:57am
Restrictions: None
New Direction
New Direction

I have decided to expand my blogging, by posting concurrently on two sites, (writing.com and wordpress.com) Will keep everyone here com posted on how that initiative is going.

Yesterday Pfeiffer, the manager of the local auto repair shop, told me to come over and paint the drive shaft and frame cross-members before the body gets put back on the 1940 ford. I did and while on the subject let me provide some background on that project which is one of two that I am currently involved in.

I found the 1940 Ford at the car show in Iola last year. The previous owner found a different project and was unloading the Ford at a reasonable price. He also provided an extra parts body at no extra charge. Since I am getting on in my years I farm out the heavy work and tend to do most of the wiring and body work myself. That keeps me interested in the project, it moves along quicker and gives me time for the chores, my wife and a host of other interests that occupy my time.

Anyway last week he told me to bring in the extra body because he wanted to show them both to the body shop guy. When I arrived to do the painting he told me he thought we should combine the best of both into a single unit. One has a good roof and firewall, the other has good quarter panels and neither has a good floor. That is the general plan for how the body is going to take shape.

Regarding the chassis, it has a Mustang 2 front end and has gotten a new gas tank, transmission, drive shaft and rear differential. That phase is nearing completion which is the reason to get going on the body.

I am currently writing a novel about the 1940 Ford and will use it as a thread in my novel, Acorns. Readers will be able to follow as an undercurrent its evolution as a preacher’s daily driver, his sons racecar, his grandson’s street rod and finally a great-grandson finds it out in the barn…. These characters will appear different but will show many of the same traits and qualities. Having the actual car while I write about the transitional periods between fathers and sons will add to the authenticity of the story.

Also I am working on a 1946 Studebaker and for the next few months that will be a central focus of my automotive interest, while my wife and the chores compete for the rest of my time.

I hope this new direction yields some additional interest and I hope to keep my other balls in the air while

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/727022-New-Direction