*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/727290-Queen-Mary-2-Westbound
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#727290 added June 28, 2011 at 7:47pm
Restrictions: None
Queen Mary 2 Westbound
Recording our trip seems almost like writing fiction now. So much has happened since we returned, it feels like the trip was a dream or it was just a dress rehearsal or something. *Rolleyes* If things continue at this rate it could be another five years before I finish it all, but I won't think about that right now. Here without further ado are some details and photos of the first stage of our trip on the Queen Mary 2. We left home on May 9th to travel by minibus with friends to Southampton, ensuring we didn't miss the ship the following day. It's not like there's another one behind if you do. There were six of us this time, as our friend's son was getting married in Philadelphia in June and two of the invited guests decided to join us on the boat.

The morning of May 10th we were all up early after a bad night, but in glorious sunshine, to make our way with mounds of luggage to the dock. The departure lounge was different to last time and not as pleasant in my humble opinion. Boarding the boat was also less dramatic than last time, partly due to familiarity I guess and also the fact the ship wasn't actually setting out from Southampton, but had just docked there after travelling from Hamburg. This also meant a variety of nationalities were on board. Enough said, but nobody mentioned the war. *Bigsmile*

After we'd found our cabins, we enjoyed our free champers and nibbles, then went on deck to watch the ship's departure. It was when we looked out the windows we realised we were already sailing and we'd missed it. There'd been no announcements or movement, but not to worry, we were on our way and ready to try and relax. The first evening we discovered our dining table was rather wobbly due to the the engine's vibrations, so we asked if we could possibly be moved. So it was, the six of us spent the rest of the week on the Engineer's table, with a different member of the engineering crew supplying the free wine each evening. There were no complants about that as you can imagine.

During the week we enjoyed many and varied shows. Stage performances of Much Ado About Nothing (too highbrow) , The Canterbury Tales (excellent) and films of Eat, Pray, Love (not as good as the book) Alice in Wonderland (3D and weird) and The King's Speech. (excellent) There were singers, dancers, musicians, a comedian who we suspect was banned after a short performance, a planetarium, lectures, classes, shops, quizzes, swimming pools, hot tubs, a gym and many more things to do, but the highlight of the week for me was an impromptu interview with Roger Daltry, WHO *Laugh* was a passenger apparently. It was the day after my Mum's birthday, so I was feeling a bit teary, but when he dedicated his first song to his own dearest, departed mother, then proceeded to sing 'Goodnight Irene,' I was just overwhelmed. *Cry* My own Mum was an Irene too. What are the chances of that?

The food was very good again on the whole, but we did observe a slight drop in standards on many fronts. Economy drives I suspect, but multiply tiny changes by two thousand plus passengers and it can make a big difference I guess. The weather was fairly dry, but fog followed us most of the way, which wasn't great for views, outdoor photos or sleeping while foghorns blasted. It was still misty and raining when we reached New York at four in the morning a week later, but the start of much travel and many adventures were beckoning.

Photos in Picasa. Viewing as a slide show is the best option.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Eyupmeduck/QM2WestboundMay2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCIDFnL...

© Copyright 2011 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/727290-Queen-Mary-2-Westbound