*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/727700-For-Every-Joy-a-Sorrow-for-every-laughter-a-tear
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#727700 added July 2, 2011 at 12:06am
Restrictions: None
For Every Joy a Sorrow, for every laughter, a tear
For every joy a sorrow, for every laughter, a tear…

Didn’t make that up but it sprang suddenly to mind. It is so true. Whenever we get on a spike of happiness there comes a down turn of sorrow. Something always comes along to spoil the joy and the more euphoric the high the more ruinous the low. If that isn’t a state of nature or a fact of life I don’t know what is.

I see it all the time here at WDC and it isn’t something the site can legislate away. You write something you think is good and somebody takes a dump on it. You do something you think is good and it turns to poop. Not just on WDC mind you but in everything we do in life. Like there is an equilibrium out there that is forever establishing a mediocrity of blaughs.

We get up and somebody knocks us down…. Somebody gets down and we try and pull them up.

I was thinking about all the things that went well last week and for every one that did there was another that went South.

Makes you appreciate the happiness and joys I suppose if one has to contrast them with the pains and sorrows.

For example I went to the parts store to buy some gauges and found exactly what I was looking for and on top of that a mirror so I can see what is coming up behind me. When I went to get the part off the wall a socket set of wrenches fell and hit me in the head. When I went to get the mirror the same thing happened again. That wasn’t enough for equilibrium however, In the process the key I was holding disappeared and I just happened to need it to drive home…. The owner took me home to get a spare key and I filled up his truck with gas…. A fair exchange but that involved time and money and a whole lot of frustration.

Linda, my wife says that if you don’t get beset by a constant stream of little things you are destined to kiss the hot rock….that is a euphemism for something bad is going to befall you. She comes up with those things and I hesitate to call it so much superstitious nonsense because she comes from a long line of strange women, that make X’s when they see cats and throw salt over their shoulders.

I wonder sometimes how men and women manage to do some of the things they do together. Like make babies. Do you ever look at a couple and try and imagine what it looked like when they were getting it on. Sometimes I wonder, not to be titillated but to elicit a mind-boggling sense of wonder.

The weather alert just went off.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/727700-For-Every-Joy-a-Sorrow-for-every-laughter-a-tear