*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728589
Rated: E · Book · Death · #1793154
Seventeen-year-old Minky is faced with the decision of her life . . . and death.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#728589 added July 14, 2011 at 5:56pm
Restrictions: None
Preface
I’m ashamed to admit the day my life began was day the lives of my parents ended. As I look back on that day I realize their inevitable demise set into motion a chain of events that would forever shape my path to self-discovery. After tragedy strikes most of us are given only two options. We can either continue on with our mundane existences as hollowed out ghosts ignoring our own foreseeable futures or we can simply choose to succumb to misery and end our own lives. The real tragedy is that either way the icy cool hands of death touches us all at one point; some, in different ways than others.

In all my seventeen years it had never occurred to me that my calling had already been predetermined. It wasn’t until I met a death seraph by the name of Nicolaus that I figured out what destiny had so intricately designed for me. At my old high school back in Philly, I recall being introduced to all kinds of occupations on ‘career day’ in the fields of law, banking, computers, and of course my own personal favorite, medicine. Not once did any of the corporate representatives at their cheesy 8’ x 8’ booths ask me if I had an aptitude for delivering the souls of the departed to their rightful destinations. I’m pretty sure I would have remembered that one.

All in all none of us really know what we are capable of until we are pushed to the brink. If door number two meant denouncing my destiny and saving the one meaningful person left in my life then so be it. My only regret would be that I had hurt her. The best memories of my life were the summers I’d spent at Aunt Maggie’s house. She had been the only one who had ever understood me completely and embraced my eccentricities. I felt not even she would’ve been able to blame me for the obvious choice I had to make if she’d known the truth. Come to think of it, there had been no choice at all. There had only been Aunt Maggie. So as last stands go, I guess this is mine.

Aunt Maggie,

I am so sorry for all the pain I have caused you. It was never my intention to hurt you. I know the stress of having me around has been unbearable at times but I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I can’t promise you I will be going to a better place because truthfully I don’t know what kind of reception I will have on the other side. All I know is that they are coming for me and this is the only way I can protect you. Though it would be easier if you understood what was going on, it’s simply too dangerous.

Believe me when I tell you I didn’t want things to turn out this way. I wish you every happiness and good will imaginable. I have only one request I need you to please honor when I’m gone. Try to live your life as if I were never part of it.

Love always,

Minky
© Copyright 2011 Yelhsa213 (UN: sassy0226 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Yelhsa213 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728589