*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728711-Jadens-Arsenal
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#728711 added July 15, 2011 at 11:19am
Restrictions: None
Jaden's Arsenal
Next week Jaden Melanie goes for her 18 month checkup. It boggles my mind that this time last year she wasn't even walking and now she's perfecting that frantic, stumbling toddler trot. She is also adding some effective weapons to her arsenal to use against me; the emphatic "no" coupled with a defiant head shake, the stealth to hid behind curtains and chairs and anything taller and wider than her own body, the ability to sudden arch or twist her body to elude capture or avoid a diaper change and lastly, and this is perhaps her most powerful weapon, a 100 volt smile where she flashes me with nearly all of her tiny, adorable toddler teeth. What is most amazing, and disconcerting, is that she seems to be able to use these new skills at will, pulling out exactly the right move to win me over when she's either done something bad or distract me long enough so that she can finish doing something bad. My daughter is quickly revealing herself to be an clever and cunning little imp. She has a million expressions and can mirror my disapproving frown with deadpan accuracy or level me with a glare that stops me in my tracks. In an instant she can turn a sly smile into a blazing one that lights up the room. She can launch into a raucous giggle that hands-down is my favorite sound in the whole world. She is always busy, whether its pushing around her bubble vacuum (usually while we are trying to watch something on tv of course), cleaning the dogs with baby wipes, assembling her wooden puzzles with surprising accuracy, unfolding my clean laundry or tracking her Daddy through the house from room to room. As much as she has discovered places she has to go and things she has to do and as much as she has come to like pushing my buttons, she will still ask to be picked up, hugged and held. She will still give kisses on que and sometimes without being prompted. She will still hold my hand, sit side by side with me on the porch steps and she still can't fall asleep without her tiny finger curled around my thumb. We look forward to every day because she is in it. Every morning is precious because it begins with her sleepy smile and outstretched arms. Every night is a blessing because we can watch her beautiful face shrouded in peaceful slumber. Even though I know she may be mounting some serious defenses to our child-rearing agenda, its all good. This adventure is as much hers as it is ours.

© Copyright 2011 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728711-Jadens-Arsenal