*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729370-Space-Exploration-Fades-To-Black-Not-If-We-Remain-Inspired
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#729370 added July 22, 2011 at 10:01pm
Restrictions: None
Space Exploration Fades To Black? Not If We Remain Inspired
Twenty-five years ago, I made a speech to the members and guardians gathered at the annual state convention of Job's Daughters. That gathering is called Grand Bethel, and the speech was actually a Librarian's Report, a requirement to close out my year holding an honorary State office for the young women's organization. I was able to capture a clear enough image of the last half of my written report from a scrapbook I located at this June 2011's Grand Bethel.

The seed of my speech came from my heartfelt respect for the Challenger astronauts, the seven that died suddenly mere minutes into launch in the second and only space shuttle mission of that year, 1986. And now, twenty-five and a half years later, the shuttle program is completely ended -- graciously with the successfully completed Atlantis mission. So one aspect of how we have reached out into space has closed, but not because of failure, just in the way that changes where and how we proceed. And I find that the persistence that allowed America's space program to endure that inspired me then, still holds true. And Job's Daughters International persists in a similar way of which I can still be proud. I am not surprised to know that what I said to those filling the San Francisco Convention Center Arena is still remembered by some. Here is that captured portion of what I said:

         "As young girls join this organization, they are told of the patience of Job, but it takes experience to understand the importance of such patience. Astronauts and workers in our space program, highly trained, experienced people, have received very little recognition in the last few years, and yet they still venture forth, for the good of mankind, with the spirit of camaraderie and thirst for space exploration which they share among themselves. Girls won't learn the most important lessons the International Order of Job's Daughter's has to offer unless they are kept interested, involved, and are recognized and respected by both their bethel sisters and their guardians. Learning patience is part of showing yourself as a responsible person, duty-bound to making your own decisions, responsible for your own actions, and conscientious toward your fellow man. Learning all this and more is what I feel Job's Daughter's is all about. The lessons which this organization was founded on apply to the young and old alike. Our organization brings young girls and counseling adults together to help insure the development of a society that features responsible young women. Just as future generations should not be kept from first-hand discovery of the "Final Frontier," future generations of girls cannot be denied such valuable lessons. Being responsible is what we all must seek as our primary duty as individual Job's Daughters.
         Let's also show that our organization is important, and deserves to be recognized more clearly. Let's make Job's Daughter's popular again; change the idea in many people's minds that anything even remotely religious is boring or uncool. There's nothing wrong with actually respecting your parents, supporting your country's government and honoring its flag. Do you think the robes we wear are insignificant or dumb? For the year 1986, I think we should consider ourselves the voguest organization around! One very highly respected woman known throughout the world wears a robe, much like ours, representative of those worn in Greece when the foundations of Democracy were first born. And she's being honored this year. [Respectfully submitted Grand Bethel Librarian 1985-86]"

That was the Statue of Liberty I was referring to if your recall of 1986 highlights is a bit fuzzy. Do you think at the time I realized how much I was truly expressing how I value perseverance? And how it is important for young and old to accomplish valuable learning time together? Besides the exhilaration I experienced giving that talk, and still knowing how I felt -- I guess by seeing my continued interest in both the boundless frontier that the universe presents and the involvement I continue to have with youth programs, I did, and do know.

© Copyright 2011 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729370-Space-Exploration-Fades-To-Black-Not-If-We-Remain-Inspired