*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729576-The-Dream
Rated: ASR · Book · Entertainment · #1721932
My collection of flash fiction entries.
#729576 added March 13, 2014 at 1:57pm
Restrictions: None
The Dream
Melissa’s chair produced that blackboard screech as she pushed back from the table. She wiped the pizza sauce from her fingers and dug around in her jeans’ pocket for coins for the jukebox.

“Play that song your dad hates,” Christine yelled to her back as Melissa, the police chief’s daughter, made her way to the glowing, rainbow lights of the Wurlitzer. She punched in the buttons for Eric Clapton’s I Shot the Sheriff, and then selected her favorite, Olivia Newton-John’s I Honestly Love You.

History books and handwritten notes littered the red and white checked tablecloth along with slices of half-eaten pizza and a wine bottle candle covered with ridges of wax. The girls’ fathers, both widowers, agreed to this unorthodox “study group” because of a looming history test the next morning and the close friendship of the two girls.

“Hey, see that guy over there in the corner booth?” Christine leaned toward Melissa and covered her mouth, as Melissa sat back down. “Don’t look right away!”

Melissa pushed her chair back and leaned down to retie a shoestring as she glanced around.

“Wow, he’s a dream…but he looks a little old for us.”

“He’s been following your every move. I told you that you looked like a movie star with your long hair parted in the middle like that.” Christine turned her eyes back to her history book and pretended to study.

“Look, he’s leaving. Good god, he’s on crutches. Oh-oh, he dropped his briefcase.” Melissa rose and hurried to the rescue

“Here, let me carry that for you.”

“That’s very kind of you, thanks.”

“I’m Melissa Smith.” Melissa held out her hand.

“Nice to meet you, Melissa. I’m Ted Bundy.”

Melissa turned and gave Christine a high five as she followed Ted out the door.



Daily Flash Winner - 7/24/11
word count = 297

8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP. It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim. (copied from this site: http://www.tickld.com/x/9-crucial-tips-written-by-a-cop-this-might-save-someones...)
© Copyright 2014 Happy May 2024! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Happy May 2024! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729576-The-Dream