*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729733-Day-25---A-Day-of-Tragedy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1523686
Nothing like a fortune cookie to make a year intriguing.
#729733 added July 26, 2011 at 8:03pm
Restrictions: None
Day 25 - A Day of Tragedy
"30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS
Day 25 - A Day in Tragedy
Fukijima, Japan --- Mar 12, 2011

Prompt Creator: April Sunday

         I remember the day well. It was the a couple of days before leaving for Bellingham. We were watching the news, my mom and I, and it was like nothing I had ever seen before. It unfolded so fast - the water washing over the small towns of Japan. My mother's reaction was something I will never forget. I had to change the channel because she was so shocked. It is the most horrific consequence of humanity; watching something devastating happening without being able to stop it.

         My mind first went to friends and family. There are many there studying there, stationed in Okinawa, or that had been their home forever. With the ripple effects across the ocean, I wondered if it would hit other countries close by. How do start over with such natural conflict? The people of Japan tried so hard to prepare for such catastrophes, but the magnitude was bigger than anyone could imagine.

         The nuclear reactor explosion kind of tipped the scales of danger for everyone. I could not imagine how anyone could deal with the tsunami and the failing reactors.

         What I will remember most, however, is the way people came together. There was an innate calmness over the people as they searched for loved ones. People were opening up their stores and handing out food, water. There was a story of a businessman who went back to his building to find his employees. He contacted family members, hunted for them day and night, even with the impending dangers of the tsunami and nuclear fallout. It was the same type of endurance that the scientists exhibited when the chose to stay with the nuclear reactors as they fell apart.

         We humanity looks back on this moment, I believe it will the way people came together that we will most remember. Natural tragedy and nuclear calamity - the world came together. My heart is with all those who lost someone. May we never forget them.

© Copyright 2011 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729733-Day-25---A-Day-of-Tragedy