*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730302-The-interview
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Contest Entry · #1769138
Some contest entries for Daily Flash Fiction.
#730302 added August 1, 2011 at 10:33am
Restrictions: None
The interview
The Interview

The spick and span look, the cool smile and the balance in the carriage would go a long way in passing the interview, thought Olivia as she stepped out.
This is going to be a deciding day in my life, she reflected as she crossed over to the bus stop.

A number of hopefuls sat waiting in the lounge. Almost all looked nervous. Some spoke nonstop while a few sat motionless. College teachers’ jobs were not easy to come by.

“It is just a mock interview you know. The job is already reserved for a favorite,” said the girl named Lara, by her side.
“So why attend this?”
“Formalities, you know, just to show everything went as per rules.”
“What do you feel about it?”
“I am the candidate,” said Lara, triumphantly.

“Miss Olivia how will you help a class of English language students whose first language is not English?” asked the middle-aged gentleman.
Olivia felt her chance lay here.
“I will spend the first half of the academic year just getting them speak and write as much English as possible. I will also make sure they understand the importance of English.”

“Briefly, what is your plan?”
“I make them participate in classroom activities like debating, quizzes and puzzles involving grammar and sentence making. I insist on participation and feedback “
A little later, they nodded for her to leave.

“How was it?” asked Olivia.
Lara, who was confident of getting the job, said angrily,
“they wanted me to explain how I would teach English, to a group of stupid guys.”
“Not stupid, simply new to English.”
“Even so, I cannot break my head teaching English to the ignorant.”

Fate favored Olivia. The joy of teaching with love, and sincerity, was hers for keeps.


Word count:296

© Copyright 2011 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730302-The-interview